Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

Guest Maria

I was wondering if I could get some advice about reference letters, especially from those involved in the selection process. I know that it is good for at least one of your ref. letters to be from a prof. I am currently doing a research project and I had planned on getting a ref. letter from my supervisor when I apply next year. However, the project is not going very well. This is mainly because my supervisor doesn't seem to understand that I have three other classes and that I don't have time to spend 25 hrs. a week in the lab (I am supposed to be spending only about 12 hrs. per week). Anyway, at this point I don't think I would ask her for a ref letter because I don't think that it would be very good. Anyway, how would it look to the adcom if I didn't have a ref letter from my supervisor? Also, I don't have any other courses where I could get a ref letter from one of the profs. because I don't know many of them, seeing as eithr the class is either too big or there are so many profs teaching it that I don't know any of them very well. Anyway, would it be ok to have ref letters from only employers and places where I volunteer? Would this seriously hinder my chances of getting into med? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Maria

I have a Q about ref letters too, would it be bad to have two letters from the same hospital? If not, what about 2 letters from the same department in that hospital?

Also, how recent should references be? i.e. if I was involved with an organization until I was 19 (i'm turning 21 this year), would it be okay if I got a reference from someone there?

It's hard picking 3 people out of so many possibilities that could address exactly what med school are looking for :eek

Thanks

The most important thing about reference letters is that they need to be GOOD...not just average...good. You want to use your references to stand out from the rest of the pack.

Unless it is specifically required by a school (ie stipulated in their instructions to apply) that you need a reference from a prof, you don't. If you have a prof that you know well and that will give you a good reference - go for it. If you don't, don't sweat it. It is better to have a reference from someone else than to have a bad reference from a prof.

I would try and diversify my reference letters as much as possible if I were you. I personally would not use two letters from the same activity - ie don't have a coach and a team manager of the same team both write letters, or have both the owner and your manager of a store both write letters, etc. Try and have each letter reflect a different part of your life - work, school, extra-currics.

As for how 'recent' they need to be...that depends on your relationship with the referee. If you volunteered with a particular organisation for 5 years but haven't been there for 18 months, that would still be a valid reference. But if you were president of a club for 4 months in the second year of your undergrad and that was 6 years ago, not so great. Don't use people from your distant past if there is someone that has been familiar with you more recently that could write the letter for you...ie don't use your Gr 10 chem teacher if you have a thesis supervisor that could do it.

Bottom line - a great reference won't 'make' your application...but a bad one sure can kill it...choose carefully.

Guest Ian Wong

Both are not likely to be helpful to you. The best letter is one that is in-depth and speaks very favorably of you (and if that's satisfied, then the more prominent the letter-writer the better).

Given the two choices, stick with the non-vague letter. Nothing is worse than a vague, generic letter that could apply to multiple people.

Ian

Guest Lactic Folly

Thanks Ian. Not to hijack the original poster's thread, but~

The first letter would be from a prof who is teaching me this year. He knows who I am and could input some personal detail, but probably couldn't comment much on things like problem-solving ability and ethical character, though I did well in the class. I suppose I'll just have to ask if he knows me well enough.

The second letter is from a research supervisor, but I sense they are neutral about the idea of pursuing medicine.. Too bad I had little opportunity to get to know possible referees through my volunteer work, though I was quite involved :b

Archived