Premed 101 Forums

Much needed vacation....

Guest Lorae

Guest Lorae

I have interviews in Calgary and in Ontario. From what I've heard Calgary notifies on May 15th and all the Ontario schools notify on the last working day of May...

Are those dates for sure?? I'm hoping to get myself onto a white sandy beach for a while, but I don't want to miss any contact from the schools.

Thanks in advance!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yep Lorae, those dates sound about right. Bear in mind that Calgary begins making their calls around May 15th (it can take them longer than one day to do so). Also, the different Ontario schools may use different notification methods. For example, Ottawa sent e-mail offers last year, whereas some of the other schools chose to send their offers by post.

On which beach are you hoping to sit for a while? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lorae

Well with some help from air canada points, I am leaning towards Fiji.... I really want to get my SCUBA certification while I'm down there!!!

I'mnot 100% sure if it will work out, but knowing that I won't be missing any important emails/calls/mail will help me decide.

:D

Guest Kirsteen

Hey again Lorae,

Wow, Fiji would be brilliant. Though you know what, if you're planning on SCUBA-ing I'd highly recommend the islands of French Polynesia. It would probably be a similar number of points required to fly there. Additionally, the diving is incredible. I completed my Advanced Open Water in the waters of Moorea and Bora Bora, en route to Australia. I tell you, if you're a warm-water fan (82C water temperature and a t-shirt in lieu of a 6mm wetsuit), there are few places to rival it (except, perhaps, for the Red Sea and Micronesia). The marine life is incredible: schools and schools of reef, lemon and hammerhead sharks, triggerfish, plank-like moray eels winding their way up to be amongst your regulator's bubbles...

Don't forget to try to book as early as possible. Those points seats tend to get snapped up pretty quickly.

Bon voyage!

Kirsteen

Guest Lorae

Thanks for the tips! You're so helpful in all aspects of this board (medical and not)!!!

Part of the reason I'm leaning towards fiji is that it is really well-developed towards the backpacker crowd. I have never ever been diving before and there is one particular dive shop that seems to be geared towards teaching beginners. Also, in my research it seems like the french polynesia area (bora bora... tahiti...) are a bit more pricey.

I'm hoping to become a frequent diver though so maybe I'll get to see both areas one day!

Just to let you know, I remember getting my call from Calgary several days before the 15 (I think it was May 10). It was a Saturday afternoon....

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there fox,

On a bit of a tangential note, would you mind sharing some of your reasons behind the choice of UofA over UofC? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived