Premed 101 Forums

Kirsteen

Guest marbledust

Guest marbledust

Hi

Did you get my responses (2 of them) to the message you sent me? Sorry, I didn't notice I had any messages in my box. I've never noticed that little feature of these boards before!

I've only been visiting here several times a day for over a year :P

Cheers

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there marbledust,

Yes, I did receive your notes and sent a wee response back. :)

I've actually just noticed (over the past month or so) that my EZinbox feature no longer tells me when I have new messages so I've been having to keep checking. :( Has anyone else found this? Perhaps, may I have inadvertently disabled some alerting mechanism?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steak

Hey Kirsteen,

Just wanted to ask you for some quick feedback on the MCAT vs GMAT. I'm writing on the 17th, and am currently looking for ways to procrastinate..

Wrote the GMAT about 3 years ago (710). I'm not too too worried about the MCAT, as I've taken two years of BSc courses to cover all the pre-req's and content specific material.

Generally speaking, how did you find the difficulty of one vs the other. Can I ask how your scores were? I assume you had just the BSc before writing the gmat?

Thanks,

Steak

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there steak,

Fabulous GMAT score! Nicely done. :) I can't recall what mine was exactly as I wrote it (literally, it was the year prior to the computerized version) about 7 years ago. Somewhere in the 600's. :rolleyes

Yes, I did have my BSc prior to writing the MCAT the first time--I wrote it thrice, ick. All three times I was aiming for 10s across the board. First try: 9-10-10-Q; then 10-8-10-S; then 8-10-12-S. I probably could have done a little better if I had devoted more of my summer time to MCAT studying, but it was an impossibility at the time.

Comparing the two, the MCAT is obviously a good bit different because of its scieo-specificity. However, the GMAT offers a good training ground for tackling Verbal Reasoning, the Writing Sample section, as well as experiencing the mental marathon of a long, standardized exam.

Best of luck to you; you'll do fine. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

P.S. What did you end up doing with that GMAT? No biz school?

Guest steak

Hey Kirsteen,

Thanks for the feedback.

Three times!? You're a glutton for punishment!

(here's where I don't mention that I wrote the LSAT too)

As for the GMAT - I don't really regard it as too impressive, since my UG was in math (CS) and I generally read (or used to) a fair bit. I didn't score spectactularly in either section, but did well in both, and got what seemed to be an unreasonable push in overall %ile score. I did end up doing my MBA at WLU - '02 grad.

I did some IT consulting for a few months afterward, but realized pretty quickly that I wasn't excited about spending the next few decades solely in IT. So, back to do a BSc at UW (by distance ed). I'm done in a few weeks, and writing the MCAT right in the middle of my exam period.

Unfortunately, due to poor GPA the first time around, it looks like Western is gonna be the only school I can apply to (possibly Mac). (Although, I'd be very happy with either). 3.61/3.74 year 1 BSc GPA (all 11/best 10) and probably 3.60/3.72 year 2 BSc GPA (all 12/best 10). Here's hoping UWO GPA cut doesn't hit > 3.73.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback - not too worried about it - practice tests are telling me 12-12-12, so even if i can hit 11-11-11, I think that'll do for my purposes..

Any offers of acceptance for you yet - I see you've been to some interviews.

Good luck!

Steak

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there Steak,

I like your MCAT practice scores! Well done! :)

Have you written the latest AAMC exams yet? They uniformly seem to be a pretty good gauge of how many folk do on the real MCAT.

Best of luck to you with it all!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest steak

Well, I'm not putting too much weight on them until I get an official score report with similar numbers.. ;)

Those scores are from exams 3 and 4 - haven't done 5 or 6 yet, but plan on doing them before the real deal..

Thanks for the help!

Steak

Archived