Premed 101 Forums

U in Australia...

Guest terminalprep

Guest terminalprep

I'm a Canadian citizen and contemplating heading to Australia for my Undergrad degree. Can anybody see any complications this may lead to concerning application to Canadian med school upon returning? Any help would be appriciated... :)

Guest aimg1

Some schools will ask you specifically if you have ever been enrolled in another Medical school. I can't think of any specific schools at the moment, but I have seen that question come up in some US or Canadial med school applications. That being said, I think it would only be a real issue if you got kicked out or failed out at another medical school.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there terminalprep,

I'm a Canadian citizen and contemplating heading to Australia for my Undergrad degree.
Is this a general undergraduate degree, or a degree from an Australian medical school?

If you're aiming to return to Canada for medical school, then you might wish to check with the Admissions Offices directly regarding residency status. Since you have a Canadian citizenship I wouldn't suspect that you would encounter problems, but also, since most folks around here have undergraduate degrees from Canadian institutions, all of the potential wrinkles surrounding foreign degrees may not have been uncovered. :)

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts are you hoping to complete your degree in Australia?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest terminalprep

Hello Kirsteen;

I'm considering doing my bachelor's degree in Australia, and then returning home to apply to med school. The main reason is because I've never left my hometown, and I have a desire to travel that's getting fiercer every day. I originally picked Australia from some pretty shallow reasons, but after looking into it a little bit, they seem to have some really great programs that include everything I was looking for in a Canadian university. Particularly, the Bachelor of Medical Science program at U Western Australia (handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook...e=3577)... However, the majority of their courses are completed in three years rather than our traditional four, and I can't seem to find any mention of an Honors option, and that concerns me because it seems that the Honors degree is slowly taking over as the norm as far as admissions here goes...

It's still just a crazy idea and I have close to another year to consider it, but I thought it was worth mentioning. :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there terminalprep,

I didn't have a look at the course catalogue, but it does sound a little odd that exclusively three-year degrees are offered. Perhaps it's a program-specific phenomenon?

In regards to Sydney, if you've never been there, it's a fantastic and beautiful city. I lived and worked there for a while and the people are brilliant. You'll have a great time there, I'm sure. Also, if you're at all averse to some facets of our splendid Canadian winters then Sydney may offer extra appeal--generally, ~13C is average for the winter months. Best of luck with your decision. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived