Premed 101 Forums

Second Undergrad Degree

Guest qua

Hi. I'm completing my undergrad degree but my GPA is quite low. So I think I will do another undergrad degree to pull up my GPA and apply to Med School. I have a few questions that I'd really appreciate you answering or providing any general insight you may have.

First of all, would they still look at the marks from my first undergrad program, or only the second program? Can I apply about just 2 years of the second program or do I have to get the degree? Also, would I be at a disadvantage because I'm doing my second undergrad degree? Would I still be part of the other undergrad applicant pool or under the graduate student pool? Is there any other way of applying to Med School other than doing another degree or grad school?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Guest byjude

Unfortunately, there's no simple answer to your questions.

Doing a second degree is a good way to improve your chances at getting med school admission, but it's important to be realistic and understand your options - so it's a good thing you're looking into this now.

Probably the most important thing you should consider before making this decision is whether doing a second degree will actually improve your chances, or whether it'll just be more time to spend, without getting you any further. Do you have a good idea of why your marks were low in your first degree? Was it because of immaturity, external circumstances, or a challenging program? If you think there is some concrete reason for your less-than-stellar marks in your first degree, that won't be a problem in a second degree, then it's worth looking into. Before you invest the time and effort, make sure you know what you can do differently, so that your investment will pay off in a better shot at interviews.

If you do decide to pursue a second degree, each school will have its own way of looking at your GPA. Some schools will use your best two years (for instance, Western, Calgary, etc) or your most recent two years (Queen's); some schools will drop a certain number of your lowest marks (eg, U of T, Manitoba), while others will only look at the average GPA of all courses you have ever taken (eg McMaster). It really depends on the school - you can find more specific answers on the school-specific threads or on each school's admission webpage.

But bottom line: if your marks are bad in undergrad, and you don't have 2 years now that meet a cutoff, then your best bet may be to do another degree.

You would still be considered an undergraduate applicant, and reviewed as one.

Although a few schools have some special applicant categories where applicants are assessed with very little emphasis on academics, these are very rare, and you have to be an in-province applicant, and unless the rest of your life is phenomenal, don't count on it. So basically, this probably isn't your most likely shot.

So the only other alternative to doing another undergrad would be doing grad school. However, if your marks are low right now, you might be pretty limited to what grad programs will admit you - most grad programs look for a B+ average or higher. Plus, as mentioned on numerous other threads on the topic, going the grad school route really doesn't make things any easier, and isn't worth doing if you're not doing it for the right reasons.

So, bottom line, if medicine is really what you want to do (and keep in mind there are numerous similar professions that might be just as, or more enjoyable to you), your best bet is probably to do a second undergraduate degree. Doing another degree won't put you at any disadvantage as an applicant, but be prepared to justify your decision to pursue a second degree if you're lucky enough to win interviews at the end of it. Also, choose wisely - pick an area that interests you (not just in a major where you think you can get good marks), that is sufficiently different enough from your first degree to make the experience worthwhile - at least if the med school thing doesn't work out in the end, you'll have at least learned something from those extra years.

Most schools will cut a year off a degree program if it's your second year, by offering transfer credit towards the electives in the new program. If you already have an honours degree (which is increasingly becoming an admission requirement), you can probably do a 3-year bachelors degree in just two more years. But, again, check with your schools of interest. Ottawa and Western, for example, will be introducing an Honours-degree requirement for those applying in 2 years, and it is not clear whether Western will require your two GPA years to be taken from your honours degree program or not.

Many people going this route tend to choose less specialized programs than their first degree - like a General BA (for science grads) or a General BSc (for non-science grads). Having fewer restrictions on your course selection may give you more flexibility in being able to choose courses you like, and will likely get better marks in.

Hope that information helps. Best of luck with your decision.

Guest cptn med

I am currently working on my second degree in order to up my academic qualifications. I have an HBCom, but was a little lax in my first two years for various personal reasons.

I am now pursuing my second degree with a ton of transfer credits that beef up my degree to a third year status. Nonetheless, I am taking two years in order to acquire the sciences required. Most universities honour the transfer credits given to you toward a new degree by another university...in this case it is a plus.

Personally I think it is a really good idea to do this because it gives you the chance to do an alternate degree of your choice (which helps you have an even broader academic and social understanding) while you work into a more favourable position as far as medical admissions.

I know I cannot speak for those who participate in Med School admissions but I think the only time a second degree won't help you is if you don't use it to your advantage.

Just my 2 cents8o

Archived