Premed 101 Forums

Hey!

I decided to make this forum for those of us applying to UBC's DMD program this year.

Feel free to share your stats (GPA, DAT etc.), ask questions, stop by to say hi, or simply lurk in the shadows.

Later on we can use this forum to track interview offers, and then hopefully admission offers as well :))

Alright, so here's my story...

I got waitlisted for UBC last year (21AA, 20PAT). Since then I decided to take on more volunteer opportunities, and take the DAT for the 3rd (!) time. 

My stats for this year's application:

IP/OOP: In province

cGPA: 3.73

sGPA: 3.57

cGPA with worst year dropped: 3.78

*GPAs are from AADSAS calculations

DAT: 25 Bio, 19 Chem, 20 RC and 25 PAT (21 AA, 21 Science total) --> a bit discouraged by this attempt's Chem and RC, but oh well! 

Extracurriculars: lots of shadowing and volunteering in dental clinics, some outreach to underserved countries 

Heading into a gap year now. I'm bummed that I got waitlisted last year (I think I bombed my interview) but I'm feeling optimistic for this upcoming cycle!

14 hours ago, Chubbie_tomato said:

Hello,

Would you be able to share details about the interviews? Like what kind of questions they ask since I could not find anything from UBC alumni. Thank you so much! 

Hi!

Unfortunately I cannot give too many specific details because we had to sign an NDA.

Here's what I can tell you... They happened in February. Both parts (SGI and MMI) were on the same day, and done online. In the morning we had group interviews (SGI). In the afternoon was the MMI style interview, which I completed alone. The questions were broad. There are lots of SGI / MMI practice you can find online, though none of those are likely to show up during your interview. Despite this, they're good to learn the format and kind of thinking you'll have to use. The timing was not very long for thinking / answering, so being succinct is important.

Hope this helps!

Hey guys, this is my first time applying to UBC. I have a 3.96cgpa, 3.92sgpa (from aadsas) and my best three years are 90.5%. I retook the dat this summer and got a 26AA, 24RC, 25Bio, 30Chem, and 21PAT. I have about 200 hours of shadowing, 400 hours of volunteering, some sports, minor research, part time jobs and other small stuff. I was wondering if you guys think I’d still be competitive or get an interview as I’m unfortunately an oop applicant.

On 9/8/2024 at 11:43 PM, FlossOrElse said:

Hi!

Unfortunately I cannot give too many specific details because we had to sign an NDA.

Here's what I can tell you... They happened in February. Both parts (SGI and MMI) were on the same day, and done online. In the morning we had group interviews (SGI). In the afternoon was the MMI style interview, which I completed alone. The questions were broad. There are lots of SGI / MMI practice you can find online, though none of those are likely to show up during your interview. Despite this, they're good to learn the format and kind of thinking you'll have to use. The timing was not very long for thinking / answering, so being succinct is important.

Hope this helps!

NDA no wonder no one talks about it. Thanks for your response tho. I’m applying first time this year and I’ll only be applying to UBC so this is nerve wracking. I have volunteer hours (not in dental field) but I have no shadowing hours as I couldn’t find a dentist who’s willing to do that. Do you know if they weigh shadowing hours a lot like from last cycle you saw? Thanks! 

36 minutes ago, Deech1816 said:

Hey guys, this is my first time applying to UBC. I have a 3.96cgpa, 3.92sgpa (from aadsas) and my best three years are 90.5%. I retook the dat this summer and got a 26AA, 24RC, 25Bio, 30Chem, and 21PAT. I have about 200 hours of shadowing, 400 hours of volunteering, some sports, minor research, part time jobs and other small stuff. I was wondering if you guys think I’d still be competitive or get an interview as I’m unfortunately an oop applicant.

OMG your stats are crazy. I think you should be fine. 

1 hour ago, Chubbie_tomato said:

OMG your stats are crazy. I think you should be fine. 

Thank you! I have been scrolling through the past cycles threads and it’s a bit nerve wracking seeing like barely any oop people say they got an interview or accepted. I saw 2-3 people that got accepted but they didn’t share their stats so I have no clue what I need to achieve the same results.

14 hours ago, Chubbie_tomato said:

NDA no wonder no one talks about it. Thanks for your response tho. I’m applying first time this year and I’ll only be applying to UBC so this is nerve wracking. I have volunteer hours (not in dental field) but I have no shadowing hours as I couldn’t find a dentist who’s willing to do that. Do you know if they weigh shadowing hours a lot like from last cycle you saw? Thanks! 

Yeah this whole application thing is quite stressful! Unfortunately, UBC is not very transparent on how they weigh us as applicants. Having volunteer hours is a plus. I know shadowing is not required, but on their admission requirements they do recommend them (30 hours, I think??). You not having shadowing experience isn't going to be a dealbreaker.