Premed 101 Forums

What drives you?

Guest daryn

Guest daryn

No, this isn't an interview question, but I really want to know what motivates all of you to keep on pursuing your goals. What do you need to remind you, to tell you that you need to keep on going? It's so hard sometimes because one can be so easily trapped in the daily grind and somehow things just slip away like that.

I'm afraid of that.

It's almost exams time and I am drained. How can you keep on being motivated for so long?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there daryn,

Exam time is a tough time to get through, that's for sure. The process of rote memorization is not fun most of the time (if that's involved in the type of exams you write).

Thankfully, I'm in my second year of graduate studies and during this year I've been involved primarily in the practical side of this science. This is where graduate school can be fantastic--when you're entrenched in a subject and project that you really enjoy. Aside from the odd mini-wrestle with my statistical software, this type of work doesn't feel like work, so additional motivation isn't really required. (Daily pitstops to this set of forums do provide a nice break from consistent eyeballing of chi-square outputs and the like, though. ;) )

In short (and to paraphrase some illustrious soul): if you do what you love, it won't feel like work. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MDSMelissa

I find that I am stimulated by visualizing my goals. I work for a private laboratory as a client service representative, and I often have to visit physicians. I love going into different doctor's offices and thinking about how I will set up my own office one day. I am interested in obstetrics, so for Christmas, my sister got me the book "Pure" by Anne Geddes which is a collection of photography focusing on pregnancy and newborn babies. I get a lot of inspiration from perusing this book. I know it's not much, but these are the types of things that help me to know that all of the hard work is worth it in the end! :D

Guest Gem2005

Hi there,

I have often asked myself the same question, but in reverse. See I am overmotivated to pursue my goals, its scary. The truth is that you do become discouraged at times, and feel the pressure, and ask yourself is it worth it? This question no one can answer it for you , I used to tell people " it is always worth it" when they asked me this question. But after experiencing different events in my life I realised that life is short and what ever each of us thinks is worth it, and knows thats what they really wants, is the only really worth! (not if you realize that in ten years you will regret it, or you rather do many other things with your life)

So I asked myself this question again, and yes for me it is worth it. So I believe the rest does not matter! As long as I am happy. I truly believe thats what has given me extreme power, and motivation, but it required some soul searching, now there is no more limits to what each person can achieve, it all starts in you!

Then you realize more and more about your interests in the field of medicine, and your on a row!

Hope that can help you!

Guest noncestvrai

When I realised that nothing was easy, my motivation went very high, as I discovered that efforts have rewards. Everything in life brings you something, both failure and success, it is for you to learn from such experiences and use this acquired information to improved yourself. So, I guess my motivation comes from my addiction of always wanting to improve myself.

noncestvrai

Archived