Premed 101 Forums

Laptop

Guest Turquoise678

Guest Turquoise678

Hello, everyone. I am seriously considering investing in a laptop for next year and years to come. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand/type I should look at? I don't want anything too pricey, but I want to make sure it will have the programs and capability I need.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated! Especially coming from my fellow meds on a shoestring budget!

Thanks,

Turq

Guest RageoftheDragon

I was thinking of getting a laptop as well for my gift to myself. I have opted for a desktop however. I feel I can put alot more into a desktop (gonna make one helluva gaming system for those late nites studying). While this will lose the portability of a laptop, I'm also thinking that a good enough personal assistant unit could get me through the day in terms of what I need to move around, allowing easier and cheaper transfer between my home compy and comps in the library/computer labs on campus. I also fear the quality of wireless at the UofS. Such is my take on the situation.

Guest marbledust

One thing you might want to look at is a second hand laptop. Most major cities will have many used computer stores, even some that specialize just in laptops. This is usually a good time to look because they often have "student specials."

You can usually get fully loaded laptops at about half (or less) of a new model. I used the money I saved on my laptop to upgrade my desktop. Or you can use it for other things...like food and rent :)

Guest Kels2004

Hey,

I just treated myself to a new laptop last week, and thus far I love it... and it was so cheap! (well, compared to the other laptops on the market ;) )

It is an Averatec 3220, and I bought it at Future Shop for $1200.

It has all the goodies of wireless internet and weights in at just over 4 lbs, which is great! Hard drive is 40GB, RAM is 256 (I upgraded 512), so should be just find fine for school work.

I don't know much about the company, but I have read a fair number of online reviews of it, and it seemed to fare very well. (I also always invest in the extended service plan since I would be lost if something went wrong, and it's always saved me money in the long run!)

Good luck searching!

Archived