Premed 101 Forums

How to get lab research experience?

Guest AH800

I'm sure this question has been posted and answered many times before, but I have only recently discovered this site so please don't be upset at me:\ . I'm just wondering how people went about getting lab research experience? What I mean is, how does one apply for research positions? Should I email the head of the department? I tried searching my school's website for relative info, but it was to no avail. I go to U of G, so maybe if anyone else goes there as well and could help me out that would be awesome! Thanks!

Guest noncestvrai

Hello,

I emailed a bunch of profs after doing some thorough research on their field and on the techniques used, but what really got me somewhere was to go an physically knock at their doors. I guess these PIs are really busy and need to be kept informed of the student's existence regularly.

Good luck,

noncestvrai

Guest sparkle

AH800,

If you are still a student, have you considered applying for a research grant like an NSERC or something? Once you have a source of funding, you can go knocking on prof's doors with your resume and a keen smile and they're usually more inclined to take you on :) I tried the e-mail thing too but the replies were far and few. Going directly to their offices and introducing yourself is a far better plan.

Good luck!

sparkle

Guest Turquoise678

I found all my summer research positions by personally contacting professors/researchers at my university. I was genuinely interested in the work they were doing, and fortunately, they welcomed me on board! Browse your universty's research websites, visit profs'/scientists' personal webpages, and read up on the exciting stuff that's going on at your university. Then email your lab of interest, or better yet, pay them a visit in person! My best word of advice: pick something that interests you; that interest really shows through to your potential supervisor! And start early!

Good luck,

Turq

Guest blinknoodle

As peachy mentioned, there quite a few threads on how to start finding lab experience. I was looking for on ein particular but never actually found it.. these are ok links though:

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=846.topic

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=720.topic

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...D=35.topic

If you are looking for work during the school year, you may find a lot of listings through your university's job postings (two of my friends got work through McWork at McMaster). If you are looking for summer work, there are many summer programs to go through, but approaching the faculty you are interested in is also a good idea. My past supervisor used to have her summer students picked out in Sept, because they usually asked the year before and the lab was already full. Most labs recruit for the summer starting in Jan/Feb, I think.

Good luck with your search.

-bn

Archived