Premed 101 Forums

pharmacy + medicine

Guest CoWind

Guest CoWind

I heard that if you take a pharmacy degree than medical school wouldnt accept you since you are already a medical profession. Any idea on that?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Any idea on that?
Yes. It doesn't currently happen in Canada. Folks from professional programs such as pharmacy, dentistry, occupational therapy, nursing, etc., are still eligible to be considered for a spot in medical schools. Furthermore, it's not unusual these days to see medical students with these types of professional histories.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest ubcpharmer

Hi

Just completing my degree in pharmacy and being accepted to medical school, I can truly say that medical schools do not favor or disfavor a student with a pharmacy background. However, some aspects that need to be considered include; pharmacy is a very academically challenging undergrad program and thus requires a dedication and commitment to obtaining good grades. Also, during interviews, you may be questioned on your decision to switch and it is imperative that you have a solid reason for moving from pharmacy to medicine.

On the flip side, a background in pharmacy is an excellent knowledge base to have when entering medicine. in essence, you will understand treatment protocols and options and will need to master the art of diagnosis. Moreover, pharmacy will give you alot of opportunities to work with patients improving your communication skills.

Guest druggist

UBCpharmer,

I am a 3rd year pharmacy student attending Dal. I too plan on attending medical school (applying this upcoming year). Out of curiosity, what were you questioned about in interviews? Do you have a specific reason yourself for going from pharm to med? I have many apprehensive feelings about interview talks regarding pharm to med and would love some input, and perhaps personal experience if you wouldn't mind chatting.

Cheers

Druggy

Hi druggist,

I did 2 years of pharmacy (after 2 years of general science, so 4 yrs total) before being accepted into medicine this year. I was convinced it would be impossible to get in without finishing pharmacy. Although I wish I had finished, many instances in my life/experience made me realize I was better suited for medicine, and had a greater motivation for it, and so I wanted to switch as soon as possible.

I had four interviews, and none of the interviewers in any interview asked specifically why I wanted to switch. Although I was highly expecting it. One asked me if I had considered any other health profession, nursing specifically, and why i would choose med over it? (I guess she hadn't paid close attention to my file). Like ubcpharmer said, you do need a sound and firm reason for switching, one that does not insult the profession you are currently studying.

So basically, it's very possible, and your current course of study/ or the degree you finish shouldn't be a problem. I was once told by an advisor that if someone in a professional program applies to medicine before finishing they would be looked upon as having "commitment issues with respect to programmes of study" , although this is a possibility, if you explain your reasoning in your application form and/or the interview, they will listen and take it into account. But I guess that won't apply to you as you will be finished by the end of next year, way to go! :-)

Best of luck

Guest cutieyellow

I was in pharmacy also before switching and was asked at my interview why i wanted to switch. The interviewer played the "but pharmacy is also helping people/patient care" and thus i had no reason to switch. It was a question i expected however when the time came to answer, the interviewers came on really strong. Every single reason i gave for pharmacy being different from med was shot down with a retort by the interviewers.

However, i just looked at them and said...It's different, yes, it's patient care, yes it's helping others, yes it's challenging, yes it's still health...but it's so different TO ME. I wanted to diagnose, but most of all, i wanted to be able to prescribe, i wanted to be able to solve the problem. A pharmacist might be able to recognize the disease, but he wouldn't ever be able to prescribe the drug, even tho he knew what to give. There were too many restrictions to what i wanted to do in pharmacy. And that was my answer.

Be careful though, because they really want you to say that pharmacy isn't AS GOOD as med. Or rather, if you do say that, it's like shooting yourself in the foot. NEVER diss other health professionals. Anyhow, i spoke from the heart, I really respect pharmacists, i think they are very knowledgeable health professionals who are often underestimated. And i believe that with time, more leeway will be accorded to them. And i will be one of those doctors who completely respects their space and allow them to perhaps, not take away all of the doc's duties, but definitely to share a few and to provide the best care for what's most important, the patient.

CY

Guest druggist

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's nice to hear from people who share a background and a similar goal. I job shadow and do research with a physician who was a pharmacist and have looked at him very much as a role model. He may not know it but he affords me many values in the times he shares with me.

Thanks everyone

Druggy

Guest Thumbelina

Hey...

I just wanted to add to what others have said... I too have just graduated with a pharmacy degree and am accepted into medicine this year.. as for the interviews, I was also worried about the questions that would come up regarding me switching professions before I went into the interview.. but it turns out I found that talking about my experiences during my undergrad caught the attention of my interviewers. During my last year, I did a pharmacy rotation at a psychiatric hospital and so during my interview I had plenty to say about my experiences there and so I tried to show what I had gained from my pharmacy background that would help me in the future as a doctor.

• 2 months later...
Guest willsanna

I am sorry to post these questions here as they are related to pharmacy degree rather than medical. However I have a hardtime finding pharmacy forums.

(1) Are there any good pharmacy related forums out there?

(2) How can you well prepare for the Pharmacy Admission Test of U of T?

Thanks,

Willsanna

Guest ewon2003

Hi there,

I did dual degree in Dietetics and Computer Science, both of which are often thought of as professional programs.

In my 3 interviews I was not even questioned on why switching to medicine.

I don't know why this question is often raised by pharmacy students, but my friends from Law, Physiotherapy, and Engineering also applied to med and did not find it a problem.

So... in my opinion, don't worry about this.

Archived