Premed 101 Forums

How did people do in first undergrad year?

Guest AH800

Guest AH800

Just curious as to how some of the older students on this board did as a first year undergrad to compare to my own. I had a gpa of 3.73 and am in the sciences. I also competed on two varsity teams which took up a lot of my time(approx. 2-3hrs/day). Is this a good gpa for first year, or should I maybe take it easy on the varsity sports and maybe only be on one team this year because I was only a couple of percentages away in a couple of subjects from having a gpa of 3.8? Thanks for any advice!

Guest thecod

if all your doing are those 2 varsity teams, it doesn't seem like it's too hard to handle. but if you feel you could have done better, then maybe you should drop one.

Guest 15Sacha

I started off pretty low in first year, but it got higher and higher as each year passed. It was challenging adjusting to University life, so don't be too hard on yourself. Things will get better, just keep studying hard and working on your time management skills.

Guest AH800

I'm pretty sure I calculated it correctly. My school uses percentages not letter grades, and only 2 of my courses were below 80%. If I went to a school which uses letter grades I would have a gpa of 3.83 because I had a few 84's which are 3.7s on the percentage scale, but 4.0s on the letter scale. Anyways, all of my courses are half credit courses, and how I figured it out was by using the omsas chart and converting each grade to a gpa, I then added all of the gpa's up and divided by the number of courses(10) to get a final gpa of 3.73, sound right?

Guest RageoftheDragon

My first year blew. Drank, drank, partied, and drank. But, as posted above, I got better over the years as I settled in and settled down. When you find something more pointed to your interests, which doesn't come till the latter years, your marks rise. You're doing fine.

RotD

Edited to spell Drank right...looks like I've been drinking tonite.

Guest Adamanda

I am not proud to admit my average first year was a stellar 65%...first year enginnering can be brutal especially when you do not do assignments and sleep through lectures! Luckily I saw the light, had much more sucessful 2-4 years, got MHSc and am now starting to u of T med school :rollin :rollin

Guest aneliz

Your 3.73 was calculated correctly and that is a decent first year GPA, especially when you are also doing two varsity sports!

So, what to do next year: It would be great if you could get the GPA up to 3.8ish (or as high as you can). Now, that doesn't mean that you should sacrifice all of your non-studying activities to accomplish that. If you think that dropping one of your varsity sports would help you get the GPA up, that might be something to do. If you don't think that it would make too much of an impact, then keep the varsity sport. One other thing to consider, varsity sports are great, but you should also have some volunteer or employment accomplishments to add to the application as well. Varsity sports look good, but I don't know how much more benefit having 2 rather than 1 will get you... so if you are spending a lot of time doing a second varsity sport and you aren't spending any time doing any volunteer work, you might consider that angle as well.

Good luck, it sounds like you are off to a great start!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

My first year blew. Drank, drank, partied, and drank.

Sounds a lot like my first year! I guess it all worked out in the end, didn't it, ROTD?

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest seonagh
If only it really was out of the system .

LOL I think it was really more about what went into the system. Try a 2.4 the first term and a 0.0 in the second. Pretty scary eh.

Seonagh

Guest noncestvrai

Wow, somebody beat my 2.64 first year average. Now let's compare the beer levels consumed and the.. ok let's not go there:hat , it remains a family forum.

noncestvrai

Guest aneliz

0.0 in second term... now that is some fine work!!! (assuming that you actually made it to the occassional class and showed up for the exams!) Extra points if you obtained that stellar GPA by handing in some assignments too! :smokin

Archived