Premed 101 Forums

Should I write the MCAT again?

Guest Nerdball

Guest Nerdball

Everyone,

Please help! I wrote everyone's favourite test (the M-kitty) last year and got the following score

PS:10, VR: 9, BS:10 and WS: S

Do you think I should write this thing again. I have studied for it, but there is no guarantee I will necessarily do any better...and I'm afraid I might do worse...cause as far as I know schools take your most recent scores...so I could actually end up screwing myself!

What would you do? :rolleyes

Guest tweep0

Hey Nerdball,

With these scores and considering only Ontario medical schools, Queen's is the only school that you will not be able to get into (using last year's statistics). 5 out of 6 is still great odds. If you are prepared to study all over again and try to raise your marks by 3 grade points (cutoff at Queen's is 32 total), then you can go for it. Personally, I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of doing the MCAT over again just to open up one more school.

However, if have have applied before and have not received admission and would like to try again, then maybe re-doing the MCAT may increase your chances. Also, Queen's doesn't consider your marks after you receive an interview. So, if you are just above a 3.6 GPA, but you have great interview skills and great ECs then Queen's is a good option. Think about it!

Tweep

Guest 15Sacha

May I ask why you are considering writing it again? You pretty much made the cutoffs for Ontario, so what is the issue? Those scores would also be acceptable in the US as well. Good luck!!!

Guest aneliz

My vote would be no. Unless you have an identifiable reason for having lower MCAT scores than you expected, you are unlikely (statistically) to alter your scores too much. An identifiable reason would be something like: didn't prepare at all, took MCAT before taking relevant science courses, ill on day of test, etc.

Of those that do not have one of these reasons and rewrite, most will raise/lower their score in each category by only 1 scaled score... so your VR 9 may turn into either an 8, stay a 9 or become a 10... but it is unlikely to be a 12 on the rewrite.

And... as you mentioned, most schools will use only your most recent MCAT attempt... so if your VR did happen to change to an 8, you would be worse off than you are now.

Ultimately it is your choice, but I personally would not rewrite if I was in your position.

Call the school's you would consider applying to and ask them what their policies on multiple mcats are. I have a feeling many schools take the best try but I'm not sure about that. Go straight to the source for these kinds of things.

Guest sparkle

Hi Nerdball,

I wouldn't recommend writing it again unless you have a good reason (as Aneliz mentioned) because statistically, chances are +/- 1. And also, you're WS is pretty good so you might not want to risk that :) You're scores are not bad and if other aspects of your application are decent, you should get an interview. (My scores were even lower than yours :( and I manage to get interviewed) So relax and spend the time to work on your application. Good luck whatever your decision is :)

sparkle

Guest Sandman AK

You can try it but if you feel you didn't do that well, don't release that MCAT score. They'll only look at the one you released I believe...

Guest CTU24

I don't believe that's an option any more Sandman. The AAMC has instituted a full disclosure policy, meaning schools in both the U.S and Canada will have access to ALL of your scores whether you want them to or not. Of course, you are able to void your test on test day which will stop that test from being marked but there is no refund.

To answer the original poster, you scores are pretty good. They might keep you out of Queens and they might not...it depends on the verbal cut off that is set annually depending on the strength of the applicants. Many people have gotten in with scores far worse than yours (including myself). The MCAT is only one part of the application process, and i would carefully consider all of my options and the reprecussions of success and failure before you decide whether it is in your best interest to put your scores at risk.

Best of luck,

CTU24

Guest sparkle
They might keep you out of Queens and they might not...it depends on the verbal cut off that is set annually depending on the strength of the applicants.

Even though the individual sections had minimums, I thought the sum must be 32 (for Sept 2004). Is Queen's flexible when it comes to the MCAT?

The GPA and MCAT cutoffs at Queen's vary by year depending on the scores of the applicant pool. This year the MCAT cutoff was 32, last year it was 30 overall (each with their respective individual section cutoffs). No way of telling what it will be next year.

Guest aneliz

You need to check with the schools you are interested in applying with before you make a decision on rewriting...

You need to know the following things:

1. What the cut-offs are likely to be (have been in the past if they haven't been set yet) and if having scores that are significantly higher than the cuts offers any advantages or if your score is not looked at beyond checking to see if you meet the cuts.

2. How they will consider multiple scores... most schools DO NOT use your best set of scores, they use your MOST RECENT regardless of whether they are better/worse than a previous attempt. If your newest scores are worse than your original scores, you may be SOL at some schools because they refuse to look at anything but the most recent scores.

Another thing to be aware of, you can no longer not release a set of scores... AAMC does have full disclosure now and any attempt will be reported to the schools whether you 'released' the scores or not.

Archived