Premed 101 Forums

How to decide where to apply

Guest seonagh

Guest seonagh

Hello all,

Congrats to everyone that is starting soon!!!!

I had been planning on applying this fall but have decided to go ahead with finishing a 4 year honours degree so it won't be until next fall for me. Given that I still have two undergrad years left to make sure that I get the pre-reqs I needs before it is too late I am trying to decide now where I would like to apply and to how many schools I will apply.

For those that have made the decision already, how did you do it?

For those entering a school, why did you pick that school?

I'm from Cape Breton and so I'm a NS resident. Right now I'm thinking about applying to Dal, UWO, MUN, UBC??, UofA, NOMS. I'm a non-trad applicant (read old!!:) ) with a wierd academic record. I don't have a lot of recent volunteer work but some interesting life experience and I am working to build up the volunteering aspect of my application this year.

I want to find schools that would minimize the negative and maximize my chances of getting in of course but I also want to find a program that will fit me well. I've done a lot of research into most of the Canadian schools but would love to have more personal input since that will hopefully illuminate some things I have thought of.

Seonagh

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

For those that have made the decision already, how did you do it?
Presuming the decision you mention is the decision for what medical schools to apply to, if you can, it might make sense to apply to all Canadian schools at which you may be eligible or have a realistic chance at winning an interview. Checking each of their requirements carefully and double-checking any ambiguous requirements with the Admissions Offices directly really helped me whittle down the list of schools to which I could apply and not waste money and time. This year, I took that approach and that equated to five schools, for which I received four interviews, and from there, two acceptances. Medical school admissions can be a lengthy process that is full of cut points. It takes a lot of work, effort and a bit of luck to be able to pass each of those cut-points successfully. Given that, I'd apply to every school for which you are eligible, and for which you have the resources to devote on each of their application processes.

For those entering a school, why did you pick that school?
There were many factors: how the program and class size fit; the curriculum; the tuition; potential awards; timing... When you get to the luxurious point of having to make a choice, try writing down a list of all the pros and cons for each program, city, and any other factors that may be involved for you. It might facilitate the decision-making. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Seonagh,

Don't count out Queen's. As Kirsteen said, apply to all that you can. Once past the cutoffs for GPA (can be based on last two years) and MCATs, they are no longer a factor in Queen's consideration.

Non-standard (read OLD) candidates don't get rejected out of hand. I'm living proof. If anything, I found there was a lot of interest during the interview stage about my life experiences and work background.

Bil :evil

Guest Lactic Folly

In no particular order:

Amount of time/work required to complete application; Costs of attending interview (location); Amount of work for referees (different forms, different due dates); Likely interview dates (possible conflicts); Fit between their criteria and the strengths of my application; Acceptance statistics for OOP students (if applicable); Balancing the likelihood that I would attend if accepted against the likelihood that I would actually be offered admission to find an optimal number of schools; Applying to schools with varying emphases on different parts of the application process

Guest threeputt

Unless you're application is extremely strong, I wouldn't bother applying to UBC - they are very tough on OOP applicants. Otherwise, apply to everywhere you have a chance, can see yourself living for a while, and will be willing to fly to for an interview (for me, this wasn't a factor at all, as I gladly flew around the country for a chance). I echo the sentiment about Queen's - it seems like an excellent school, and if you can just get waitlisted, you have a very good shot of getting in. Overall, I don't think the quality of education will suffer, no matter where you go in Canada - all schools are probably excellent.

Unfortunately, at this stage in the game, we can't be too choosy - try not to limit too much where you apply to.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Unless you're application is extremely strong, I wouldn't bother applying to UBC - they are very tough on OOP applicants.
Just to clarify, you're spot on re: UBC being relatively tough for OOP applicants. However, someone may still apply with an application that has some weaknesses, i.e., is not extremely strong in all areas, and still be offered a spot. As long as you can muster up the 42 or so points that appeared to be required this year to gain an interview, then you have as good a shot as any OOP applicant to UBC. Plus, this year it may become a wee bit easier to enter UBC as an OOP applicant given that they're doubling their OOP seat quota to 10. (As long as the number of OOP applicants doesn't double, that is. :) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

I agree with what has been said already... you want to apply to schools that maximize your chance of admission, that you feel that you would be happy at if you attended, and not bankrupt yourself in the process!

You should always apply to the schools that are close to you.. ie apply for your 'home' school(s).

Then, apply to schools that you like the program structure of and can see yourself attending. This is a different decision for everyone... try and determine what you like/don't like about the school... and how likely you feel you are to be offered an interview/acceptance given your application situation.

Here is my two second overview of the Ontario schools from when I was thinking of applying... (I added NOMS to the end)

Mac - a three year program, no pre-reqs to get in. They have a unique approach to learning...problem based and much more independent than other schools.

UofT - large, 4 year, traditional med school in a large centre. Have all the toys and all of the opportunities of a huge centre... but also the high cost of living that goes with it.

UWO - a 4 year traditional med school in a medium centre... mandatory rural placements in 1st and 3rd year... strong clerkship... not so innovative pre-clerkship...

Queens - a 4 year traditional med school in a smaller centre... not as many toys but much lower cost of living and tighter community feeling

NOMS - a 4 year school, with a huge emphasis on regional and remote medicine... will involve living and working in remote northern communities, aboriginal communities, francophone communities and learning by 'distance' education. I am sure there will be some great learning opportunities, but it may be very isolated if you are not from the north.

In the end, I only applied to two schools... UofT and UWO. I felt that they had the best chance of accepting me and they were the two schools that I felt I would have the best fit with as a student. I didn't think I would be happy at Mac, so I didn't apply there. I didn't think I would get an interview at Ottawa, so I didn't apply there. I didn't want to live in Kingston, so I didn't appply to Queens. I didn't apply out of province because I knew my chances were less there than at either UWO or UofT... so, I would have the best chance to get into one of those two, and if I should be offered admission there, I would refuse an OOP acceptance to go to either one. So, I didn't apply OOP.

Check out the school's websites... check out the program structure, the location/living expenses of the school, the application process and how it would look on you, etc. Then you will have a short list of schools that you can apply to. This will be different for you than anyone else's list. The other option is to apply randomly (which some people do) or to apply to all of them (a huge waste of $$ if you ask me...)

Good luck!

Archived