Premed 101 Forums

Patient Record

Guest ClimbOn

Guest ClimbOn

Hello

I have a question about obtaining patient records from my family doctor. I will be moving from Vancouver to London for school, and I phoned my doctor's office to ask for a copy of my records so that I can have a copy of that info when I find a new doctor. She called me back and left a message that it is actually illegal for me to obtain my records, and that I HAVE to get my new doctor to sign a release form before she can pass on my info. Now, I know the importance of patient confidentiality and that certain precautions should be taken to keep patient records out of the wrong hands, but I've always presumed that the patient has the right to obtain a copy of the records without going through another doctor. Am I mistaken? Can someone please clarify this issue? Thanks a lot folks.

Guest drews97

I'm not 100% sure about this, but it is my understanding that the hospital owns your physical records (ie://the file and original paper that it's printed on) but that you have the right to obtain a copy of your records at any time. It IS your info after all.

Guest CaesarCornelius

You can get a copy of it and see it ANY time. It is YOUR record. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

CC

Guest Elaine I

The physician owns the actual paper that the records are written on, while you own the actual information. However, that said, your physician can charge you for photocopying...

Elaine

Guest ClimbOn

Thank you all for clearing up this issue. I shall call my doctor again and insist that I get a copy of my records. As for the charge of photocopying...I can't imagine it would cost too much.

Guest Sarah371

The general charge for photocopying is 25 dollars.....however if you have not been sick and have just had general well person check-ups you should be able to fill your new doctor int on all the information.

Guest KatieKat

Is it legal for the patient to hand their records over to the new doctor or must it go directly from doctor to doctor? I ask because what if the patient "tweaked" their records for the new doctor? For example, the patient adds in that they should be given high doses of morphine without question, etc. Is it simply the new doctor's responsibility to double check everything that is listed in the record obtained from the patient?

Guest marbledust

When I switched doctors a few years ago the office charged me a flat fee of $25 as a "transfer fee" and then $0.25 cents a page for photocoping. Plus they also charged me to courier the files to the new doctor. Oh well...I am much happier with my "new" family doctor, so I willingly paid the price. They actually were quite hostile when I made the request...lol.

Guest Ian Wong

As noted earlier, your chart and all its documentation is yours to access. You may request a copy at any time, and the office staff is legally obligated to give a copy to you, although they are allowed to charge a "reasonable" price for the service. And yes, even though you could potentially alter the chart (ie, take the photocopy, make some alterations, and then run that through the photocopier again so that everything looks uniformly black and white), you still get to have a copy if you want (it doesn't have to go doctor to doctor).

After all, the original copy is still at the first doctor's office, and if your forgery is way out there, there's a reasonable chance it will be detected at some point or another.

Ian

Archived