Premed 101 Forums

Wrote the MCAT 3 times...

Guest oO0chickpea0Oo

Guest oO0chickpea0Oo

So if someone's written the MCAT 3 times, (A) are they allowed to write it a fourth time and (B) Do med schools look at the number of times you've written it. I'm asking for a friend of mine who's written it three times and was planning to write again this august...The first three times he took the test it was prior to the full disclosure "law" that came into effect as of last year in august. So if he writes it now, his marks won't be disclosed from those other times, but I'm worried that the number of sittings will be disclosed...Will that even effect him in getting an interview? or after he gets an interview?

Thanks

~pea~

PS:Each time it's been the VR section that's brought him down...Otherwise he's done amazing!

Guest aneliz

I believe that they now disclose all of your MCAT writings to schools (regardless of when you actually wrote it).... most schools don't care how many times you wrote it but they will only consider your most recent scores....and statistically, unless you have a really good reason to re-write (ie sick on day of test, wrote before studying any chemistry, didn't prepare, etc) your marks are not likely to change much more than 1 point up or down in any category.

You can write the MCAT as often as you like, but after the 3rd time, you need to provide proof to the MCAT office of why you are rewriting. You need a letter from your 'health professions advisor' in the US or you need a rejection letter from a med school.

Guest aneliz

I know for sure that at UWO it is the MOST RECENT score only that they will consider NOT the best score. I believe it to be the same at other schools. So, for UWO, it can be risky to take it again if you are right on the edge. As an example: if you have 9,9,10,P which is borderline at many schools, if you rewrite, you statistically will either stay the same or go up or down by one point in each section. So, your re-write may end up with 8, 9, 10, Q....but unless you have a really good reason (like you were sick the first time or didn't prepare) you are unlikely to come out with 13,14,12,S...regardless of how many times you have written. If you don't believe me, check out the 'stats on re-writes' on the AAMC website....it will show you exactly how many people with X score in X section ended up with Y or Z score on a rewrite.

UWO will also not allow you to mix and match scores from different test attempts. For example: you cannot use your 10 in VR from your first attempt along with your Q in WS from your second attempt....all of the scores must be from teh same writing of the MCAT and, unless you win an appeal, they must be your MOST RECENT scores. So, if your scores are borderline, you may end up worse off after re-writing than before....

Guest aneliz

Not that I am aware of.... if they did, you could theoretically have written the test 4 times...and concentrated on a single section each time....which is hardly 'fair' to those that only write once.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

does any school let you mix and match??
Calgary allows you to request a maximum of two sets of MCAT scores to be considered, if you wish. What this means, however, is that the entire set of both scores appear on the document that is evaluated by the selection committee, i.e., you cannot request that specific sections from the two test dates are removed or retained on your document.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Spritzer5

I wrote the MCAT seven times (Took the Kaplan course twice). My scores changed marginally each time. But in the end I got into U of T Meds so it was worth it:rollin

Archived