Premed 101 Forums

Should I take Statistic?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Hello guys! Do most med school in both Canada and US require statistic course? Will taking this course better prepare me in professional school later on? Is it worth of taking? if so, I will be taking Statistic 200 (Elementary Statistics for Applications ) in UBC .

thanx!

Guest Makunouchi

Hi smooth operator,

I recall that University of Alberta requires statistics, but I'm not sure on other schools (think they are recommended) - you should check the admission requirements for the universities that you are interested in. Don't know for US.

Statistics 200 was pretty basic... there's also biostats (300?) at UBC.

Guest CTU24

I don't think many schools in Ontario require stats but most others outside of Ontario do.

U of T recommends it...and I took basic stats last summer. I found the statistical theory extremely useful for my upper year science courses, and would suggest to anyone that they take a full stats credit...I only took a half credit and regret not makig more room in my program for another stats course

Anyway, the point is you may not enjoy stats, but eventually you will see how useful it is in scieince and even everyday life (...tear)

CTU24

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I have a biased opinion as far as statistics goes, but a basic course in the discipline would stand you in good stead if you enter medicine later on. If you retain some of the information from a statistics course then the medical papers that you will peruse and the undergraduate medical lessons that you will receive in epidemiology may make a lot more sense. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Info from a basic undergraduate statistics course is actually used a lot in medicine. I would say that the stuff they teach you is more useful than some of the minutia you learn in med school. Therefore it would be helpful to have later on, but I doubt many schools would require it, Canada or US.

Archived