Premed 101 Forums

extracurricular activities ideas

Guest Agent999

Guest Agent999

Hi,

I just finished my undergrad and of course didnt get into meds for this coming sept. I am looking for extracurricular activites to do for this coming year so I will be more prepared when I reapply next year. However, I am unsure as to what ECs I should do. I am a determined person and I am willing to commit my time on something, but I just want to know if it's the right thing. I read a post from Kristeen earlier than we should do something that we enjoy and can tell a life experience about it. I have done hospital volunteering and research and such, and looking forward to doing something else. I am actually very interested in painting and building models, especially gundams, if any1 here are into japanese animes. I am wondering if there are any good activities out there thatws a good blend of arts and medicine, so at least I am not going off being an artist completely, rather than being a doctor, which is the career of my dreams. Any advices are appreciated.

There must be artistic healing programs around. I'm not familiar with them but I'm sure that you'd be able to find them if you asked. Maybe try the Cancer Agency or Children's Hospital. This might be a good way to mix your interests.

Guest coastal79

The Social Work students and Fine Arts students at the school I work at have an organization called Art for Social Change. The mandate is, surprise surprise, to use art to elicit social change. Given the power of art, talent of many fine arts students, and stubbornness/social conscience of social workers, it is a movement that has alot of potential. Check out your local area for something similar, or, start something. I'd stick with some kind of health care volunteering as well, just because it shows that you are still committed to/interested in medicine.

I agree that you have to do things that you enjoy, but you also have to look at parts of your application that are weak, and try to improve them. Lived with the parents your whole life? volunteer, work, or travel abroad somewhere for 3 or 4 months to get seasoned. GPA holding you back? take a few courses to pump it up a bit. See what you need to do and go from there.

Guest lothya

I have no idea where you are, but here in Montreal there is the Centre for the Arts in Human development which is always looking for volunteers. they run arts-based programs for adults with developmental disabilites. Many seniors centres or youth centres also have arts programs, and some may have drop in art therapy groups who would be willing to take a volunteer. Community centres like a YMCA may also have programs that need volunteers -- I found working in a parent and tot art class very interesting for learning about how parents and their children interact, and how to intervene (even just for fun, or to teach art) in that relationship.

Guest Lactic Folly

At the UofA hospital, there's an Artist on the Wards program (music, drama, visual arts). Artists can do things like brighten up patients' rooms by painting on the windows, and engage patients in doing crafts and creating artwork.

Guest threeputt

I think it's a great idea to try and blend art with medicine/social work, but if you can't find something in that area, don't hesitate to volunteer at your local art gallery. I volunteered at the SPCA, because I love animals, and I got a reference letter frommy supervisor there, too (and I got in).

If something interests you, go for it - it makes you come across as a more interesting person, and I'm positive that people will remember you more for having unique ECs and not tailoring everything you do just to get into med school. You already have hospital and research experience, so take what you can from those and branch out into other things that interest you. I would advise trying to do things that have some interaction with people though.

Archived