Premed 101 Forums

choosing your med school

Guest drtw

Guest drtw

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering what all of you thought about getting your med degrees at the same institution where you got your undergrad/graduate education. I have done all of my highschool, undergrad, and masters in edmonton. I have been accepted into UofA, but am still waiting to hear back from the Ontario schools.

I have been told before that it is wise to vary the institutions where you get your post-secondary education. Of course, there are many other factors that I am considering when choosing my med school (such as closeness to family and friends, how well the style of education suits me, $$$, etc.), but this is definatley something that I have been thinking quite seriously about. How important is it to go to a different school? And is it even important enough for me to consider this during the decision making process?

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from those in the same boat as me.

Thanks everyone

DR

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I have been told before that it is wise to vary the institutions where you get your post-secondary education.
I have heard the same advice numerous times before. However, the context in which it perennially and solely appeared was that surrounding graduate education. For example, it can be an asset, and is highly recommended, that a person with a doctorate degree complete their postdoctorate work at an institution that is different from that where the PhD was completed. I haven't heard the same with respect to selecting a unique institution for medical school.

Additionally, I have been told that the above advice is important for those seeking academic or corporate positions with their PhD as scientists. More experience in different milieux is looked upon very favourably, apparently, by those who hire scientists. This may not necessarily be the case with respect to residency Directors, who do the hiring to fill residency positions. Especially in the event that you wished to apply to UofA for a residency, it could be the case that your huge amount of in-province experience would be viewed by some as an asset; by others, perhaps as a lack of diversity. Since these are the folks who you would presumably wish to appeal to later on (residency Directors, that is) it might be an idea to bend their ears on the topic prior to making a decision. :)

By the way, congratulations on your UofA acceptance. :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Koppertone

Well having done my undergraduate degree in Van, I would have stayed at UBC Van had I been accepted. Is that the best choice? I don't know, but it was the easiest from both a social standpoint (ie. I already have friends in Van). I don't think it's as big of a deal when going to grad school (as has been said), but if you feel like going on an adventure and you're lucky enough to get two acceptances then by all means, feel free to pick and chose. However, don't worry about it until the acceptances come in the mail :P

Guest aneliz

First, congrats on the UofA acceptance. I agree with Kirsteen...the advice you have heard is most applicable to graduate work. It doesn't matter as much where you do your med degree. Especially in the provinces where there are only one or two options... Pick the school that meets your needs the best and don't worrry about anything else. Your success is the most important...not the variety of institutions that you have attended.

Guest Edwarder

Like you, I am wondering if I should pack up my life in one province- Ontario- and head out west for Med School. I am still waiting to hear from Mac before I decide. I did all of my schooling in Ontario and I also had profs who advised me to pursue my education in different parts of the country. I think it is a great idea and a great time in your life to travel. On the flip side, I have serious qualms about leaving my family behind for so many years. I will see them twice a year. It hurts me to see my parents getting older and knowing that I have only so many more years to spend with them... I know that sounds pessimistic, but I have been thinking about it ever since another close family member passed away. Although I love to travel, therefore, I think I would prefer to do so in shorter time periods. I would prefer to be with my family and friends during a very challenging and stressful period in my life. Also, I will save money by living closer to home.

Just thought I'd share some of my own pros and cons. Please remember that they are my own personal views, though.

Good luck and congrats!

Ed

Guest CareBear15

You know, you could always do your residency somewhere else in the country. There will always be chances to travel, so no worries about staying in the same province for x number of years... just plan to vary your experiences in the future.

Guest chemgirl

Hello fellow Edmontonian!

I have done everything in Edmonton as well... high school, undergrad, part of a PhD. The advice you hear is pertinent to graduate school, however, I would argue that people aren't going to care how many institutions you've gone to if you are producing quality work. I think it is generally agreed upon that doing your postdoc in a different institution is necessary, however, for medical school, I don't think I would worry about switching. Pick the school that is a good fit for you, be it home or away.

Guest drtw

Thank you all so much for your invaluable advice. It's nice to hear some other people's insights on the matter. I will consider all of your opinions when (of IF) the time comes to make the big decision.

I havn't posted here much, but often peruse this forum for advice. You guys have been great and have provided me with much needed information on many occasions. It's nice to know I will have such great colleagues in the future.

Good luck to you all.

(and sorry for the cheesy post!:D )

Guest macmed04

I just graduated from Mac and also don't think that it's much of a consideration for med school. Med school can be stressful and you might be happy to stay where you have family to support you through the hard times (though phone calls can be pretty helpful for that too).

Having said that, some people that I've talked to have said that it's not a good idea to do med school + residency + fellowship in the same place because then you start to seem inbred. It's interesting to work in different centres and see how things are done differently at each place. Plus having residents/fellows go to different places helps to spread knowledge and teaching styles around.

Definitely don't stress about the decision too much at this point though for med school. I don't think it's a big deal to have done high school, undergrad and med school in the same city.

Good luck with the decision!

Macmed04

Archived