Premed 101 Forums

Competitive GPA

Guest codloghorn

Obviously each school calculates the GPA a bit differently...

It also depends on where you live (ie if you live in Ottawa, you can get away with a slightly lower GPA than if you don't)

Here are the stats as they stand:

Ottawa - usually requires around a 3.8 from Ontario residents that are NOT from Ottawa.

UofT - who knows - probably between 3.65-3.8ish

Western - requires min. 3.70

Queens' - requires 3.62 but has an insane MCAT cut

Mac - requires a 3.00 but probably should be a bit higher to be truly 'competitive' (think 3.6ish)

Those are my guesses - anywhere from ~3.65 and up should be good at most schools in Ontario.

Guest mydream88

though I think that the higher the gpa the better and the more competitive. With a lower gpa, even if it is within plausible ranges, in order to remain comptetitive* one should partake in lots of extracurricular activity/volunteer work, research, etc.

Not to sound cynical though, there is always hope :)

Perhaps 3.85-4.0 would be considered very smooth sailing.

mydream88

*for most schools, though Western's competitive gpa this year is minimum 3.7, and Queen's gpa cutoff is lower than that however their mcat cutoffs are quite high

Guest codloghorn

i believe 3.7-3.75 would be competitive if enough volunteer work/extra curricular activities have been done.

3.85-4.0, while VERY competitive, is not necessary, IMO.

Guest UWOMED2005

I agree with most of what's been said, but I'd argue there's no such thing as "smooth sailing." The interview counts for too much for that. . . if you're a jerk in the interview, or the chemistry between you and interviewers just isn't right for whatever reason, you get have a 4.5/4.0 and it wouldn't matter.

In fact, I have classmates who were very close to the 3.60 cutoff of my year and didn't have a mind blowing resume. They were just human in their interview, and fortunately impressed the interviewers enough that they made the cut.

What sort of GPA would be competitive at UBC?

Do the west coast schools have a relatively lower GPA competition compared to Ontario schools? But on the other hand have really high expectations for extracirricular activities?

Curious...

EMHC

Check out this site for UBC's admissions stats:

www.admissions.med.ubc.ca/stats.html

The interview cut-off has traditionally been a 50/50 combination of academic and non-academic. With the expansion happening this year, the rumour is that the evaluation criteria will be different from past years. Just how different? Who knows? But I would bet it would still be a combo.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there EMHC,

For UBC and U. Calgary, at least, the academic requirements are a little tighter for out-of-province candidates than for in-province candidates. (Sorry, but I can't speak to the other schools near the west coast.) In the U. Calgary case, the requirements are clear: out-of-province candidates must have two years at 3.50 or above to proceed in the selection process (on the U. Calgary scale, which is a little different from that of OMSAS).

For UBC, however, the requirements are a little fuzzier as it is a score out of 50 that determines whether or not an applicant will receive an interview. This score is composed as follows: 25 points for non-academic activities; 25 points for academics. The higher your overall GPA, last 60 credits and pre-requisite GPA, then the more points out of 25 you will earn for academics. UBC determines cut-offs out of 50 for both in- and out-of-province candidates and again, the cut-off for out-of-province applicants is perennially higher than that for in-province applicants (~40 or so out of 50 for the past few years). So in the case of UBC, outstanding non-academic activities are a definite advantage as they may help bolster the points earned from a sagging average. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived