Premed 101 Forums

Examples of jobs and/or graduate work?

Guest violetk

Guest violetk

Hey guys!

This question is for those of you who went to graduate school or worked after getting your bachelor's. What are some of the examples of masters programs or interesting positions in hospitals or other places?

Thank you for your feedback.

Violet

Guest therealcrackers

I did a grad degree at U of T after my bachelor's: unsuccessful in my first application to meds, but ultimately interested in both meds and research, I started in a master's program in a molecular cardiology lab at Toronto General. The lab has since moved to St. Mike's...

Best things that came out of the project, vis-a-vis getting into medical school and succeeding:

1) Literature searching and information compiling skills. Huge. Key. Essential.

2) Ability to concentrate for extended periods of time.

3) Ability to interact with and within a hierarchy. They exist everywhere.

4) Teaching experience: really helps being on the other side of the evaluation equation...

5) The actual knowledge: about half the people in meds try to stay in their research area, about half don't. I'm in the former camp...

6) Documentation. You have no idea how big a deal this is in clerkship and thereafter.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Below is an example of a job (the posting is currently active for anyone seeking a little extra work).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Ontario HIV Treatment Network

Medical Chart Data Extraction/Data Entry Opportunities

We have openings for short term contract staff to do data entry at various Hospital Outpatient Clinics and Family Practitioners in Toronto who specialize in HIV care. The Ontario HIV Treatment Network is providing funding to these clinics to be used for the data entry of patient data into an electronic medical record, which will later be used for research.

We would like to be contacted by candidates with knowledge of medical terminology who are proficient in the use of a PC. Ideal candidates will have experience in medical chart extraction and using Electronic Medical Record software.

Please send your resume to:

Ms Kam Roshan kroshan@ohtn.on.ca

(416) 642 6486 ext. 308

Ontario HIV Treatment Network

1300 Yonge Street, Suite 308

Toronto, ON. M4T 1X3.

Guest Ian Wong

What city are you looking to get a job in?

That will help narrow your search and make giving you advice that much easier. As far as documentation goes, that means keeping good written records of what you are doing, or what has transpired. Documentation is crucial in research because it encourages transparency and reproducibility (after all, if you don't thoroughly record what you are doing, how is anyone supposed to analyze it and replicate it).

Unsurprisingly then, documentation is similarly critical in healthcare, where it's important to record information in an orderly and complete manner, and having previous experience in the process will give you a head start on the matter.

Ian

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

where do you search for healthcare jobs? Is there a website that you can recommend?

At present, I am not actively searching for jobs in the healthcare sector, so there are no particular websites that I can recommend, sorry. I am, however, active in a number of different healthcare groups and have affiliations with a handful of healthcare organizations. As a result, I receive numerous e-mailed updates from each, which often include job opportunities for folks with different types of healthcare experience. The wee job that I added, above, sounded like something that might appeal to someone around here. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi Violet,

I worked after my undergrad. I was in a slightly different position, though, because I also worked (a lot) during undergrad so my "first real job" was as a middle management-type project coordinator. It was an awesome job. I saw a lot of people working as assistants on studies as their first forray into the real world after undergrad. It provides great experience and exposure to the worlds of medicine and research.

As for looking for jobs, check out the weekly newsletter for public health sciences at U of T (if you are in Toronto) at http://www.phs.utoronto.ca. Also, hospitals will generally post a small fraction of their available jobs on their website. If you want more specifics, you can send me an email.

Happy hunting!

bj

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

As for looking for jobs, check out the weekly newsletter for public health sciences at U of T (if you are in Toronto) at http://www.phs.utoronto.ca.

I agree, the above is a good source of job information. FYI though, since the Dept of PHS Chair has changed, so has the frequency of newsletters: it's now bi-weekly. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived