Premed 101 Forums

Limbo Years

Guest Megan80

Guest Megan80

Hi there - my first visit to this board, it's great! If anyone has any advice for me on my concerns, I'd be really grateful. I've applied to medical school for the first time this year. I'm positive it's what I want to do, but my MCAT scores weren't the greatest. What I'm wondering is, if I don't get in this year, can anyone suggest anything really cool that I could do before applying again to maybe boost my "life experience"? (i.e. mabye travelling, doing international, medically-related work?)

Thanks so much!

Guest mydream88

all of the above if you can. I am not expert as I have not been accepted yet for medical school :) . I think that you should follow your heart and seek opportunities that you desire to fulfill within your lifetime. This will inherently boost your 'life experience'. As well, perhaps you could do a little travel and then settle into a research position that would allow the opportunity to boost research productivity, you could volunteer at a number of organizations as well (as I am doing :) )

good luck Megan80

mydream88

Guest cptn med

I too am applying for the first time.

I agree with mydreams88...but in addition I would say that I think with whatever you choose to do, you should do something that is meaningful. Something that will grow on you and leave a mark (hopefully positive). And of course...have a great time.

I also think that you should do what your heart tells you to do. Don't do things for Med School, because if you don't like what you do, then you'll be bored and putting countless hours into nothing. But, if you like what you do, then your extra-curricular activities will feel more like a break from school work, as opposed to more work after school. So please do what you want to do. Do what makes you happy!!

Dafunk

I had a year off before starting med school. It wasn't necessarily my choice, but I made the best of it. I got a great job (mostly out of necessity) which gave me great experience and helped solidify two facts:

1. I love medicine. I worked on a team with MDs and other health professionals and really loved the work the doctors did.

2. I don't want an office job. Although the work was meaningful and the lifestyle was great, the whole 9-5 thing didn't suit me.

The year off strengthened my resolve to do medicine, something that probably helped in the interviews.

Best of luck whatever you decide. Things always turn out for the best, even if it doesn't appear so at first.

:D

bj

Guest violetk

Hey bj!

If it's not a secret what kind of work did you do? All hospital jobs i was looking at want experience... But how do you get experience if you can't get the job on the first place?

Thanks,

Violet

Archived