Premed 101 Forums

Western or Mac? Decisions, decisions...

Guest currentlybored

Guest currentlybored

They really don't give you much time to choose do they....

I really don't know what to do here and any input would be appreciated.

If it matters at all - I did my undergrad in McMaster's Bachelor of Health Sciences Programme.

Guest McMastergirl

In the end, it won't matter. But I would consider:

1) are you an independent learner, or do you need a lot of structure? Obviously Mac is more "freestyle"

2) Do you like living in Hamilton, or do you want a city change?

3) Being done in 3 years instead of 4 is a BIG plus - especially financially. If you go to Mac, you will find yourself in your first year of residency saying - gee, I'm so glad I don't have another whole YEAR of med school!!!!

Guest NurseNathalie

boy, do I ever 'Hear Ya' about this short time to decide! I mean, when I applied to both NOSM and McMaster... I 'knew' what I would do if accepted at both... but deep down, I beleived I would not be accepted at either... WHAT A FOOL! got an offer at NOSM and MAC

now that I have to make a (life-changing) decision in less than 2 weeks.. I'm not so sure of what to do!

question for med-parents: I'm really really wanting to accept McMaster's offer... I would be having some of my children with me... would you recommend the program to parents??? (went to college and University with kids in the past, so I know I can do it.. its not an issue for ME.. but I need to consider them in this equation)

I would appreciate your views...

ps: you should all charge a fee for the therapy you are providing us on a regular basis!!! on behalf of everyone who posts on here...

a big big big THANK YOU !!! IT IS NOTED AND APPRECIATED!

Guest UWOMED2005
Being done in 3 years instead of 4 is a BIG plus - especially financially. If you go to Mac, you will find yourself in your first year of residency saying

The flip question to this would be, "Will I feel ready to be calling shots as a resident after only 3 years of medical school."

No disrespect to Mac students intended. Some great residents I know went to Mac. . . but the above might be an issue for some!

Archived