Premed 101 Forums

How much time in total needed to be a specialized surgeon?

Guest richard9200

Guest richard9200

Hi everybody,

I am wondering how long is the education time for the path of a specialized surgeon such as cardiac, neuro and derm, starting from undergraduate university level (assume normally 4 years) all the way through the residence program, possibly with a fellowship.

In addition, in order to get into a residence program for specialized surgeon is it recommended to take the general surgery residence program prior to the specialized surgical residence? If so, how long in total would I needed to be a specialized surgeon?

Many thanks in advance!

Guest therealcrackers

Richard:

to get into any surgical program you will need 4 years of undergrad and either 3 or 4 years of medical school (depending on the program). 7-8 years total so far.

Dermatology is not considered a surgical specialty. It is a direct entry 5 year residency program.

Cardiac surgery, neurosurgery, plastics, ophthalmology, ENT, and urology are all direct entry residency programs.

Cardiac surgery is 6, +/- a fellowship for transplants = 13-16

Neurosurg is 6 + a fellowship (usually) = 13 to 16

The last 4 are 5 year programs +/- fellowship = 12-15 years

General surgery leads to thoracic surgery, vascular surgery, and some of the hepatobiliary stuff (liver transplants, etc.) It does not lead to neurosurg or cardiac surgery.

General surgery programs are 5 years (12-13 total now) and thoracics and vascular are 2 years (so 14-15). I don't know about the hepatobiliary stuff, but it's at least two years.

For more specifics about the surgical subspecialties, try using the CaRMS website and look for program information by specialty or university under the program directory down the left hand side.

Guest richard9200

I am also wondering what are the relative income (salary) comparisons of these surgeons? Please understand that I am not making decisions based on how much I earn, but I have no idea how much a surgeon earns (or even a physician) and I am really just curious. Are the starting salary for one type of surgeon (such as cardiac and neuro since they require a lot of skills) generally much higher than others?

Thanks.

Archived