Premed 101 Forums

Social trends

Guest Edwarder

Guest Edwarder

I just wanted to know how many medical students do not drink for personal/religious reasons. I know a friend who is very worried about feeling isolated when med school starts this fall. This person does not drink at all. Should he be worried? I mean, during undergrad I knew several women but very few men who did not drink. It is an interesting issue and I don't think a whole lot of research has been done on it.

Ed

I don't think he should be worried. There are quite a few people in my class that don't drink, and I never even knew they didn't drink until recently. If he likes to go out with everyone and have a good time and stay sober, good for him! If not drinking stops him from going to parties and bars with classmates, well, he may miss out on some good times, but that is his choice. But if he wants to go and party it up without alcohol, I doubt anyone will have an issue with that.

Guest aneliz

I agree...there are definitely more than a few people in my class that don't drink for personal or religious reasons. Nobody cares. If you don't want to drink, you want be an 'outcast' of your class. However, if you refuse to attend a function where other people may be/are drinking, you will definitely miss some good times.

Guest mdhopeful23

you know, i tend to have quite an amount of respect for people who dont drink. they learn how to have fun and let loose without being intoxicating effects of booze. good for them.

and when there's a group of us boozed out at the bar, making absolute arses of ourselves, its always handy to have a 'sober' perspective...

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey

Yeah, I don't drink and there are quite a few of my classmates who don't either. When we have 'social' events, there are activities for everyone. But if you're a boozer, there are plenty of those in my class too.

CC

Just to add... we have quite a few non-boozers who come out to parties and the bar. Sometimes I don't drink, either, when we're out partying, and then I acutally feel decent the next day :) I do have to say, though, our class is a pretty big party class, and we usually see the same 40-50 people at most events, alcohol or non-alcohol related. It's nice to see different faces sometimes....

Guest UWOMED2005

I'd say the proportion of non-drinkers is greater in med school than the general population.

But as has been said, it's pretty much a non-issue.

I rarely drink. I think the last time I drank was at the last post-test party of last year. Most of my friends don't drink a lot either. We go out to the post-test parties and still have a good time. Thing is, I don't think I can afford to blow 30-40 bucks a night (or more) on something I don't enjoy that much to begin with.

I think you'd have a problem if you were in engineering school or something... med school shouldn't be a big deal.

Guest marbledust

Just a thought, but the average age of medical students might have something to do with the amount of drinking. The lure of hard-core partying and drinking becomes less attractive the older you get - speaking from experience :)

Not that medical students don't have fun or drink.

I don't know that engineering students are that big of drinkers considering the insane amount of classes and work they need to do to get through their programs. I used to teach computer labs for some of their courses - a rowdy bunch to be sure, but they didn't strike me as party animals (except for the first years lol).

Guest justanotherpremed

hey dude.... i'm not a med student but personally, I've got a great deal of respect for people who don't drink and still know how to have a good time. :hat :smokin

Archived