Premed 101 Forums

Relationships in medical school (REALLY!)

Guest faqir9

Guest faqir9

I felt bad for po' IB.

How has medical school impacted your relationships? Discussion of hotties is welcome too. (But mention interviews and you're banned)

Guest tantastic

There was an alternative student newspaper at Mcgill that looked at the class composites (through asking the departments of the programs or students enrolled in the programs for a copy) of various "second entry" programs at several universities in Canada to determine which program consistently had the hottest people. They conducted several surveys on campuses, interviewing over 900 students in total with the composites in hand. The study concluded that the hottest girls were found in Physical Therapy programs and Teacher's college was a close second. Medical school was rated DEAD LAST at all of the Universities they looked at abd surveyed people. So while there were a few attractive folks in the class, on the whole the med students were rated as bottom of the barrel in the looks department. Females in Graduate programs in Engineering rated the 2nd lowest. I believe that M.A. in Anthropology finished third.

In this study when they asked male med students to rate which program had the hottest girls some said med school. When they were shown class photos of other programs relative to med school, all of these guys changed their mind. The "study" attributed their initial dillusion to "cabin fever" where being locked into a room with little or no contact with the outside world starts dillusioning perception. It was a pretty funny article, I must say. I'm glad to hear that my looks weren't the reason that I was rejected this year. He He

BTW, On the ugly factor for Males, Male Grad students in Engineering and Physics tied for dead last. Med school finished second last. The best looking guys according to the survey were found in MBA programs, for you single gals that are still looking :smokin

Well, at least as a guy in med school I won't be out of place... Sounds interesting, do you remember a cite for that one?

I remember two years ago someone in McGill's psych department was doing a study that involved getting people to rate a hypothetical girlfriend/boyfriend candidate based on a photo and a set of statements. I'm guessing they randomised which statements went with which photo, but I don't quite remember all of it... I just remember seeing them giving out $5 bills on Redpath terrace if you participate, so I just signed up. I wonder if that article had anything to do with that study.

Just as a caveat about looking at class composites though, I don't think our class composite does us justice. All the photos were taken after the sports and games of Orientation Week, and some of us aren't as hot/cute/what have you there as we usually are. :)

Guest drews97

QM6, some of those girls aren't too bad!!;) Anyway, here's my situation, feel free to comment/give advice. I currently live in Calgary (where I did my undergrad) and will be coming to Queen's next year for med school. I have been in a reasonable serious relationship for over a year now. Realistically, it seems to me that there is a very slim chance of this relationship continuing for a long period of time once I move to Kingston. Neither of us is at a period in our life where we are ready to commit to each other for ever and, as such, putting in the amount of effort needed to sustain a really long distance relationship for at least 4 years doesn't seem worth it. However, ending a relationship that is going well just because I am moving seems selfish. I'm sure others have been faced with this situation before. I don't really want to do anything at this point but I'm not sure if it is better, as the time approaches for me to leave, to end it outright, or try the long distance thing only to have it ultimately (probably) fail. So far, the only negative aspect of moving to Ontario (well...maybe the cost!!).

Guest IRNBRUD

faqir,

Thanks :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin !!!

mying,

Thanks for the candid account of your experience this year. Sounds like your relationship was really put to the test. I completely agree with "By no means is it a disgrace to hit the emotional rollercoaster of medical school and find out that the person you thought was a life partner really wasn't. That just means you found out that you, as a partnership, weren't cut out for the tough things" and believe that it is important to realize that not all relationships that fail during med school fail **because of** med school. Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you and it certainly gives me some hope:) . I too have been hearing the whole "not a doctor not good enough" compatibility argument and frankly am sick of it. The interesting thing is that up until my admission, by partner and I had often been referred to as one of the "cool couples" by many of the same people :D .

QM6,

I think you really brought an interesting position to the table in this discussion! So often, when discussing relationships the perspective of singles is completely ignored. I am quite shocked that :eek it is so completely ignored in the lecture that you mentioned. Thanks for bringing it to my awareness. Do you think that being in a relationship would have enhanced/detracted from your experience?

Anyway, hope you all have a fantabulous long weekend, whether it is with your significant other, or on a solo flight

Guest lcloh

I personally don't think you can compare programs like that - it's going to vary from year to year depending on who gets into the class - and let's be honest, there are some professional classes anywhere that might be considered fugly in Canadian society that would be considered super-hot in Egyptian society (e.g. in Egypt, many men consider a woman with a goodly amount of fat attractive.) :)

So I don't know if you can justifiably use the McGill study to compare different programs, because they change every year... who knows, sometimes the hotties will end up in meds, other times in dents, other times in radio college, even garbage-collector school or something - one never knows!

Point is being there are hot people everywhere and it changes from year to year.

Guest Toonces

I find this tendency to constantly distort these threads into one re: the attractiveness of your classmates (particularly the female classmates) to be very frustrating. Who bloody well cares whether your physician is good looking or not? It would be much more useful to more people to have a discussion on relationships rather than an assessment of the attractiveness of the people at different schools and in different professions.

"Bottom of the barrel"? I think that's an inane and cruel way to describe anyone. And if you're hoping to found solid relationships that are heavily based around someone's looks, you probably deserve what you get.

Guest lcloh

Hi Toonces,

Sorry to offend you - I was replying to the post by tantastic earlier on.

I guess I should just make my point clear, then: It's impossible to judge "attractiveness" by comparing programs, because different people get into different programs all the time, and it varies from year to year.

I apologize again for any misunderstanding. I'm not really a shallow jerk, I promise! :)

Guest bad hombre
I apologize again for any misunderstanding. I'm not really a shallow jerk, I promise!

yes you are ;)

on a serious note... I don't mean to be a tight a$$ but I do believe that we are objectifying people on this thread

Guest faqir9

My take: I'd much rather be IN an LDR while in medical school and confront problems as they arise than single and having to deal with the attendant dilemmas.

Particularly with the prospect of a long residency looming large.

Hey drews,

Kinda weird me giving advice about relationship with lack of experience, but I can at least optimistically say that the vast majority of "pretty serious" relationships (as opposed to "nothing serious" ones) were together at the end of the year - many stronger than they were at the outset. So going by simple stats, you're best off taking a chance and seeing things through at least the first year of med school.

But of course it's all about how you feel about things... Way I see it, all other things being equal, you can either (1) stay together, and go about knowing that while you'll have your work cut out for you in keeping this relationship going, it's not impossible. Or, (2) you can make a "pre-emptive strike" (sorry, just watched Seinfeld) and break up now - but, you'll have that "what if" feeling nagging at you too. I don't want to prejudice anything, but my romantic side kinda gives more honour to option (1).

Everyone's different, of course, and there's certainly a lot for you to think and talk about with your sig. other. I'm sure that if you have an honest heart-to-heart about it, it'll point you both in the right direction. Just like in Moulin Rouge - come what may.

(Just read that over... kinda vague, huh? Prolly explains my lack of relationships... :\ )

Hey IRNBRUD,

I don't know... it would've been a different experience, that's for sure.

You know, I'm kinda surprised (in a bad way) that we pre-med/med students that are supposedly smarter, or at least more "aware" than the average person, keeping falling back to looking out for hotties and such like the average Joe Bleau. Anyway, good luck everyone figuring out this mysterious beast we call relationships!

Guest McMastergirl

thanks for your post. Interesting situation, and I agree that a lot of people have faced very similar dilemmas. I know there are people in my class who left behind spouses/partners in other provinces, countries and even continents! It's funny though, when I step back and look at who lasted and who didn't (2 years later), distance has nothing to do with it. For example, I know someone whose bf is in Germany, they see each other maybe 3 or 4 times a year max, and are still together and happy. I know others in the same or neighboring city that have split. Me, I left my partner in Kingston and moved to Hamilton 2 years ago. We did split once, for 3 weeks, but ended up back together because ultimately the stress was worth it! So my advice would be to give it a chance, and if it isn't satisfying you then consider ending things or taking a break. Really, you never know until you try.

Archived