Premed 101 Forums

getting in to med school

Guest MedicalMAn

Guest MedicalMAn

I have put myself into a problem, my first year of university didnt go too well, I have since increased my grades to a 4.0 gpa but i am still worried that my first year will hold me back from becoming a doctor. Should i be worried? I have been told that med school looks at improvement

Guest adduction

I think if you managed to bring your GPA up to a 4.0 you shouldn't really worry! Is that your cumulative GPA? or your last year's GPA?

They don't look at individual years...they want to know how you did on the pre-reqs and overall.

It also depends on the school. For UBC, you can get away with having a mid-high 70's average if your extracurriculars/non-academic stuff is stellar (I actually know someone in that situation who will be with me in the Class of 2009 at UBC)...though naturally they prefer candidates strong in both areas.

Best of luck.

Guest canmic

Many schools look at your most recent 2 years or best 2 years or best 3 out of 4 years etc... Some weigh the older years less and more recent years more.

One important thing is to always take a full course load (30 cred sept to april).

Guest Marvin0123

How important is it to have 30 credits from sept-april. I am in 2nd year at sfu, and have had 28 credits both years so far (with a few summer courses as i work/coop). Also, what sort of cgpa's are ppl from sfu getting in with, they go by a 4.33 scale. Thanks.

Archived