Premed 101 Forums

done my first year!!!!!

Guest moo

Guest UWOMED2005

Nuts. So all I'm getting this year is the rest of the M? But I already thought I had that! I've thought I've had the M for so long that now I'm taking it for granted.

Besides, I'm sick of just having the M. I want the D for a change. Ian. . . do you want to trade your D for a second M? Then you can be M and M. . . you know, eminem!

Then Moo, you could take your half M, turn it upside down to make a V. Add my D and you get. . .

I've been studying too long. :D

Guest therealcrackers

First year was all about the period---because you still don't know anything, period. Second year, you get the M, for all the Mega-cramming you have to do. Third year is another period---of heavy learning, scutpuppy work, lo mein on the totem pole, etc during clerkship. What's the difference between purgatory and hell? Purgatory is only temporary. Then fourth year, ah fourth year; since at Western it's electives and transition periods, you could say you do D*** all, or that you're Developing a bedside manner and the tools of the trade, so that's when D acquisition takes place.

Congratulations to all those who are already done! Mumble a prayer to the deity of your choice into the beverage of your choice, then hoist it high, for those of us still buried in three feet of notes.

Guest mying

Ooh, I think therealcrackers's explanation makes the most sense. Why? Because it's so delightfully a**-backward. You get the dot before the M etc. Somedays, some too many days, that's *exactly* what medical school is, eh?

Guest UWOMED2005

Too bad the a**-backwards isn't get the MD first, do some moonlighting to pay the $100k, learn everything the same way they learn stuff in the Matrix (huah! I know cardiac auscultation!), skip the exams entirely.

How does that sound?

UWOMED2005, .M

Guest medicator007

This truly is a funny discussion.... 1/2 M, dot, no-dot, 1/2 dot :lol

Simple solution might be for all schools to give out the double degree, MDCM... So for us at McGill we simply get one letter a year... no debate, no half letters and never being equated with punctuation marks :rollin

Though i suppose for the three year programs that might not work as well :rolleyes Perhaps there really is no solution?

Medicator

Guest McMastergirl

Speaking of 3 year programs, I often have trouble describing to others what year I'm in at McMaster. Am I in second year, because I started in 2001? Am I in 3rd year, because I graduate in 2004? Or because I'm halfway through the program (and clerkship) right now? Any suggestions???

:lol

Guest therealcrackers

How about a middle year medical student? You're not in your first year, and you're not in your final year... that's a happy medium, perhaps...

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm telling people I'm in 3rd year as of Saturday (of course if I've failed exams I'll be wrong, but I digress). Since you're less than a year from grad, I'd go with 3rd year.

So I guess that makes you an Ml

Guest UofCMeds2005

Apparently, I am in second year now as classes have ended. But, they don't start again until August - March. Then March I will be in 3rd year even through the third years are still here and it has only been 9mths or so since I started second year. You are right it is confusing. You should have seen my preceptors face when he intro me as a frist year and I corrected him. "Last week you told me you were in first year" - I replied "I was ...."

Guest therealcrackers

Now we're sorta floating about, between lunch, parties and sleep... because WE'RE DONE SECOND YEAR!!!! :D :eek ;):P WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We now return to a wonderfully unscheduled nap... :x

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, we got the M, even the M. depending on how you look at it.

So much for being "done" though. I get to wake up at 5:40am tomorrow morning to drive to get to my summer elective on time as I got to make 8:00am rounds and it's a rural elective, meaning a long commute. No rest for the wicked. . . or the med student. ;)

Archived