Premed 101 Forums

IAN

Guest cgb

Hi Ian:

I've been posting as the unregistered "cgb" over the last several months and would now like to officially register. Could you address the following questions?

If you register for a local account can it be later changed to a global account. Is there a benefit to either? Are there other forums for which the global account would come in handy?

Thanks in advance :)

• 3 years later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447280</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>IAN</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Research Project: Perceptions of the Admissions Process</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>PeterHill0501</username>

<dateline>1023391620</dateline>

<title>Research Project: Perceptions of the Admissions Process</title>

<pagetext>Good morning everyone,

Many of you may know me from posts I have made in this forum. Aside from being an applicant, I am a seasoned market researcher.

After having gone through the admissions process, I realize that Canadian universities could greatly benefit from understanding how the admissions process affects candidates, how it could be made better and more comfortable/palatable for candidates to go through, and how through an understanding of factors driving candidate decisions, they could present a more desireable image to candidates with the ultimate goal of attracting more top talent to their med school programs.

Over the course of the next few months I will be collecting data from a variety of sources and would like candidates who frequent this site to have an opportunity to participate. I'm interested in getting feedback from candidates who have been accepted...those who have received rejections...those who have received interviews...those who have not...I'm interested in opinions of any candidates who have applied to ANY Canadian school, regardless of which school they have applied to, or whether they have received multiple offers or none. Any feedback you provide, like the posts in this forum, would be completely anonymous.

While I realize some people may be uncomfortable posting information in a public forum, please feel free to e-mail me directly from an anonymous account to provide feedback. If you click on my login name, you will see my private e-mail address.

My intention is to analyze all the data collected from candidates across the country, summarize it and publish it in the CMAJ and/or other major Canadian medical publications.

Here is some of the information that I am looking for in order to complete the first phase of this qualitative research:

Goals of the Research/Publication:

(1) helping universities understand how they can provide a better image to potential candidates, assuming they want to draw top talent;

(2) helping universities understand how their admissions process negatively affects candidates (both those who are and aren't extended offers) and what changes might avoid these negative outcomes;

(3) helping universities understand the positive aspects of their admissions process to ensure those characteristics are carried forward;

Providing such feedback would ultimately also help us (i.e., candidates) as, I believe, if handled correctly and tactfully, would inevitably cause universities to think and would likely affect how they handle/implement some aspects of the admissions process in the future. The key to this will be diplomacy and tact.

Following are the types of data that will be required to fulfill this phase of the research:

(1) Feedback can and should be about negative and positive things, but it has to be constructive...unconstructive feedback will be refined so that it's non-confrontational and constructive, if possible...totally useless, negative confrontational feedback will not be included;

(2) It would be helpful if, with your comments you indicate which schools you applied to, what specialty(ies) you plan on pursuing (if known) your status at each of the schools and your ultimate choice, if known, or desired choice if final status is not determined. Also, gender, ethnic background and age might be nice, as well with respect to stats.

(3) Feedback should include concrete, specific examples of something that is positive or negative about the admissions process (process, personnel, interviewers, admins, letters received, lack of feedback, etc.), how it made you FEEL as a candidate and what effect this aspect of the admissions process had/has on your perception of the school's meds program and how it ultimately affected your final decision. Feedback should also include suggestions for making the process better.

Once sufficient data are collected I will be summarizing the learning, by school, make recommendations for improvements and submit the research summary to the CMAJ and other publications for consideration.

Let's all keep in mind...that while the admissions process is competitive...and the universities evaluate us and decide whether we get an offer...we are also a valued resource and we have a choice of where we would like to attend as well. We should be treated fairly and with respect and as much as they are our 'customers' they are also ours.

Thank-you very much for your support. I look forward to receiving your feedback.

Best regards,

Peter

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448000</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>UWO vs. UA</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

monkey

</username>

<dateline>1023189840</dateline>

<title>UWO vs. UA</title>

<pagetext>Hey,

This is in no way meant to rub salt in wounds of those who are waitlisted or have been rejected. I want an honest opinion and people who visit this site are very open and dont mind sharing their thoughts. i really need that for this discussion, so as much as i apologize for having this up here so soon, i hope you understand...

It sucks how we dont have moderators for UA, but nonetheless, many of you guys (esp. sheklo) are so informed about UA and stuff that i wanted to pose this question to you: I have the chance to attend UWO and UA. Which school would you want to attend? i am from alberta so instinctly i would want to go to UA: its close to home, waay cheaper and a really awesome school (organ based study, really good hospital). But, i'm not sure i want this b/c in UWO, they offer clinical exposure in the form of 1st year patient contact and rural week (where they ACTUALLY work for one week with docs). Also, they finish clerkship in 3rd year. so, by the time you apply for CaRMS, you know which field you want to do. from the information i have on UA, this is not the case. UA gives me the impression of "2 yrs pure study and 2 years experience", whereas UWO seems more "holistic, where experience and education are integrated for a unique experience".

I had a really positive experience on the day of my interview at both places, whcih makes it even harder. I like smaller towns so London would be better, but I love Alberta too!!!!

lastly, economically UA is feasible (only 9500 vs 14,000 for tuition alone!). But I really really liked UWO!!!!!

any help!?

Thanx!!!!!!

BTW: i am not sure, but is living expense in edmonton cheap?

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447880</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Research Project: Perceptions of the Admissions Process</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Archived