Premed 101 Forums

Retiring Age of Doctors?

Guest TKP 123

Guest TKP 123

Hello,

I got a question which I have wanted to ask for a long time.

What is the average retiring age of doctors?

Is it different in general depending on what kind of specialty you are?

I know it is kinda early to ask this question, but I just want to have a feel of what that is.

Thanks a lot.

TKP

Guest canmic

I'm not really sure doctors ever retire..

I know of one who had his 'retirement party' about 20 years ago and he still comes into the hospital every day and works on his research and goes to rounds every week and takes notes and attends conferences etc etc... (he's well into his 80s)

I know of another who had his retirement party about 10 years ago and he still comes in and sees patients in the hospital about 3 days a week and is on call about one week every two months, I believe he's in his late 70s.

Of course, I won't make any generalizations :) You can retire whenever you'd like, especially since the days of actual pensions are numbered if not completely gone (unless you're a tenured prof it isn't likely you'll have one).

Guest physiology

Hello,

I know that UBC has some sort of mandatory retirement policy, come age 65. I'm not sure if VGH or other Vancover area hospitals have similar policies.

Many professors hate this rule at UBC - it can bring on anger, resentment, and depression, etc.

However, for medical doctors, who usually have some sort of Clinical Associate Professor title, they can fall back on their cross-appointments as attendings at the local hospitals.

Physio

Archived