Premed 101 Forums

Stupid Question

Guest Kenola

Guest Kenola

OK, so up until this point I've been pretty calm about this whole process...but now that I'm done exams and I really don't have too much else to do, I'm feeling the nerves come on!!!! :-(

Specifically, one thought has started to enter my mind of late, and its really kind of stupid, but oh well....I was hoping I could throw it out there and see if anyone has any comments.

I've been wondering if I didn't maybe make a mistake in my selection of referees.

For my referees, I choose an academic one (no brainer there), a prior supervisor, and a colleague whom I had worked with professionally for about 13 years (yes, I'm an older student :hat )

At the time I submitted my referees, I thought it was a good idea to ask my colleague to write something up for me, as it would offer a perspective from someone who knows me on a professional level, but as a peer rather than a supervisor or professor.

But, litterally 20 minutes ago I had that little voice that popped up out of the blue that said "that's a bad idea". (perhaps the bigger issue at hand is the voices and not the referees).

Anyhow, any comments on the suitability of this reference??

Kenola

Guest popcorn girl

you are chasing ghosts as they say...if the interview is worth 24 and marks 76, where are the interviews in the big scheme of things, likely tie breakers along with the classes you took, prior experience, who knows as they dont say...but i bet you have the edge with your experience...how did your interview go?

Guest Kenola

Sorry, by referees I meant the people that wrote the reference letters. Although I'm pretty sure you're on the right track with the "chasing ghosts" comment....I know its just me being uptight and there's nothing I can do about it at this point, but exams are done and I have nothing else to obsess about. I guess I'm just letting my psychoses run around the block, until I have to shove them away and pretend I'm a normal person again. :)

Kenola

Guest popcorn girl

i was up too late, i meant referees, i knew what you were saying i just wrote it wrong, i just dont see how they factor the references/referees into this, there are no 'points' left after the interview and marks. you know your total for those if you did well on the interview you are likely ok

So go chase your psychosis away go for a run...

Guest Kenola

Thanks popcorn girl. I hope so.

As far as the interview, I think I did well on the it, and my 2 best years were pretty fair. I think my composite score is somewhere around 87.7 which is reasonably competitive. However, being competitive on everything else would SUCK that much more if the admissions committee didn't like my references and failed me on that! That's basically all I am freakin' about. Oh well...have to wait and see what happens.

Good luck to everyone waiting...

Kenola

Guest kosmo14

No worries, reference letters are of no significant value whatsoever in the UofS process. They count for nothing in the overall composite score. They are simply used as flags. An applicant would be more carefully scrutenized if there was something awful in thier letter, and since that virtually never happens then you don't have to worry. As long as your letter does not say "This person would make the worst doctor, is a lazy bum, is a sexual predator, and is the dumbest person I have ever met" then you are safe. So don't worry who you selected, even if it just a mediocre recommendation you will get past the reference letter stage. Good luck, go out and enjoy the nice weather.

I think you can almost get your dog to write your reference letter and U of S admissions will consider it equal as one from a former prime minister. ;)

Archived