Premed 101 Forums

Microbiology

Guest frenchfrog

Guest frenchfrog

I was wondering if any med students at the U of S majored in Microbiology before being accepted by the College of Medicine. I attend the U of S and am considering majoring in Microbiology because the subject seems very fascinating. However, I have yet to actually take a Micro course and hear the upper year courses in this subject are very difficult and time-consuming. I know it is wrong to pick courses solely to boost your admission average, but, at the same time, I do not want to get myself into something that seriously ruins my competitiveness. Are the rumors about the difficulty of Microbiology accurate?

I know quite a few of my fellow classmates that majored in Micro and did very well. If you are interested in it go for it. I took quite a few of upper year micro classes and did not find them that bad. Sure they require work, but so deos everything else. I often find the people that complain about the difficulty of a particular course are the ones who never put the effort in.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Littlest Zooropa

Very important:

DO WHAT YOU LOVE!

(You'll do better than if you try to coast through some rocks-for-jocks classes, anyways).

And always aim for having a useable degree at the end of four years because, as I know you know, most applicants to medical school don't get in. At the U of S in 2005/6, 87% of applicants were rejected.

Archived