Premed 101 Forums

Doing a Second degree...

Guest lostpremeddie

Guest lostpremeddie

So folks, I have a Q... how would one go about getting a second degree? Is it possible to do a full time studies w/ a part time job? and if i do decide to do a second degree, i'll be committing myself to > or = to 2 years of that right?

Help would be appreciated :)

Guest doclightning

It is possible to do full-time studies and have a part time job and still get good grades. I did it a couple of years. Not easy, but possible. I’m not sure about length of time though. Sorry I’m not much help. But good luck in whatever you decide.

Guest avisee

That really depends on a lot of factors. If you're just looking to take some prereqs or boost your GPA, then you can get by on doing a 3-year degree (if available; it's common in Ontario, not so much in other provinces) or even just "non-degree studies".

I considered doing a second degree in the arts, and found that I could obtain a 3-year degree in 2-years of study, because some schools will allow you to double-count courses from your first degree. But in general you're probably looking at 3-4 years for a full degree, or less if you take courses through the summer.

You can definitely get good grades with a part time job - tons of students do this during their first degree. It really depends on the number of hours you work, and the workload of your courses. Most universities recommend you work no more than 10-15 hours a week with a full courseload. That amount of time really doesn't detract from your ability to do work and maintain sanity. This is especially true if you can get a job that is different enough from your schoolwork (ie, not all typing and writing if you'll be writing a lot of papers) and/or related to what you're studying (cross-germination of ideas), fun and/or social, or something that gives you a lot of free time to do work (eg, front desk clerk in a residence). If you want to work more than 15 hours a week, your level of success depends on how much you love what you're studying and how much sleep you need.

Guest avisee

Addendum to that: If it doesn't matter whether your "second degree" is undergraduate or beyond, then it is definitely possible to do some types of Masters or Graduate Diploma in 1 year. A lot of course-based (non-thesis) Masters degrees can be obtained in 8-12 months, including programs in nutrition, and social sciences that I'm aware of. If you can get to the UK for a year, you can do a number of Masters degrees in the sciences within a year.

But if it's strictly undergrad and you can get to a school with 3 full semesters (ie, a school with a good range of summer courses including a significant number at the higher level) then you could easily finish a 3-year diploma within 24 months if you don't need much vacation time.

Guest student101

SO wait a sec... you mentioned getting a masters in social sciences or nutrition. I know social science masters don't necessarily require an SS background, but does nutrition? I mean, can I get a master's in nutrition with any degree?

Guest muchdutch

You can get a master's in just about anything with any degree. While some master's will be harder for you to obtain if you don't have the appropriate undergrad degree (physics master's would be pretty hard if you've done an art history degree!!), some departments (the one's I've inquired to, anyway) will tailor your course selection so you maximize your learning based on your background.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blinknoodle

I know Guelph has a course-based nutritional sciences program. Toronto may have something but it may be more geared towards people in dietetics. UBC is starting a new 1-year professional Masters of Food Science for 2007. I am sure there are countless others.

Guest student101

So just to be clear then. If I have a BBA i can still apply to these master's programs? I know that to get an MSc in chemistry or physics (for York U at least) you need a related BSc.

Thx

Archived