Premed 101 Forums

who has had to do it repeatedly?

Guest acarpent1

Guest acarpent1

Apply I mean. This was my first year applying, and I was rejected from NOSM, and did not recieve an interview from OU because my GPA was a bit too low. I have a plan B, and I will be starting it in September to get my grades up and then apply the next year to OU (because OU counts your most recent three years regardless of what 'year' of a university program from what I understand). Anyway.. this means waiting a year, re-applying, and thus doing two years of school before starting meds miniumum, more if I'm not accepted the next time I try. This is hugely daunting to me for multiple reasons.. first.. two years seems like such a long time to wait to do what you want.. I know that it's my own fault that I let a few classes slip during my undergrad, and I don't feel sorry for myself about it, just a bit regretful. Even though I'll be entering a program that I think will be exciting and rewarding, I know that I won't be satisfied until I'm in meds.. I also would like to get married and have babies.. and starting med school @ age 25 or later means not getting out until 29 or later.. and as silly as it might sound to some of you, babies over 30 is just not something I've ever wanted.. Does anybody have babies in medical school? Anybody get married?? How difficult is it (the marriage part)?? I mean.. especially for the person you're marrying.. (unless they're in meds too). I'm just incredibly down.. I feel like my "life" is on hold or something.. and I know that medicine is what I want and will do eventually.. but it just seems SO far away now.. anyway enough whining.. haha.. I don't mean to.. but if there is anybody who is currently IN medical school who had to do what I have to do (and i realize that is a lot of people).. I would really appreciate any advice or learned-lessons on the matter.. I don't want to wish my life away.. but I just don't know how to feel better about the upcoming two years.

Guest happy2bme

Babies over 30?, most people I know actually Started in the 27-33 range! I'm not ruling it out for myself and I'll be 33 when I start med school in August, I got pregnant at 20 and I can tell you that was no walk in the park either.

Babies in medschool?, everyone will tell you that their are always a few that combine pregnancy and medschool. I assume you are female. They can't kick you out for getting pregnant! You won't be able to take five years off though until the kid is in kindergarten! I did another degree in the US with a newborn as a singleparent, so it can be done with a lot of juggling and fantastic time management skills!

I hope someone who got preg. in med school answers you to show you that it is possible but comes with it's own sets of challenges, ie: no pub crawls or taking expensive holidays, need to be more productive with the limited study time you have etc.

Marriage itself is difficult with or without medschool. It takes COMMITMENT. Unfortunatly I've seen medstudent/residents marriages fall apart, but at only a 50% chance of ANY marriage working I don't think it was solely due to medschool. You may have less time with your partner, but you have to make that time count and make sure you value your significant other! Some professional students can get very wrapped up in their own "school" world and forget that the entire "real" world is still going on and existing around them. Don't be that person or you will end up isolating your significant other and nothing good will ever come of that.

Life is never "on hold", it keeps trucking on, all you have to do is participate! Keep trying to boost that GPA, I got in with a year that was 2.65 on my trascript, some VW's, so as long as you have some good years to counter it to show that you are maturing as a student, it still is very possible. You got an interview from NOSM so you are in the ball park for that school and now you have experience at their interview. So who knows... it might only be one more year till you enter med school!

I applied for the first time last year to one school and got waitlisted, I applied to 2 schools this year and received first round acceptance to both. Nothing changed on my application. For my essay stc. I just cut and pasted it from one year to the next! So sometimes it may just be a difference of how the interview went, confidence, and who you had as interviewers.

Good luck

Guest acarpent1

thank you for your reply..

I know you're right.. i know that life is right now.. it's just so hard not to feel a little bit lost and and sad.. envious and daunted by the time that has to come next.

Guest everyoneloveschem

I am not non-traditional (no kids, no cool first, second or third professions), but I have just been accepted on my fourth go.

What I would say to you is keep trying if you feel strongly about medicine, but in the mean time work on your other options. I only expanded my other options this year, which is pretty dumb in retrospect, but I was a bit focused on medicine. That way if medicine continues to not work out, you still have other options.

Guest acarpent1

hey everyoneloveschem. You are exactly the kind of person i hoped would respond. I am going to boost my grades next year and reapply the following year.. it seems so long now.. but I will be doing it within a program that will serve as an excellent alternative option if need be. I have to ask you though.. for four years.. how did you keep going? Were you scared? did you feel low/dissapointed/regretful.. anything?? How did you keep doing it (other than faith.. and honestly.. I KNOW that I will probably apply every year until I pass away even if it doesn't happen in the next few).. but when you were applying, did you keep it to yourself? Were you living a life that you loved in the meantime? Thank you so much for responding, and CONGRATULATIONS on getting in this year!! You obviously SO deserve it and should be SO congratulated on your fortitude!

ps.. what is a non-traditional applicant?? If you're still going to school can you be considered non-traditional at some point? or is it only if you're not in school? I don't get it.

Guest muchdutch

elc - did you get an interview all four times? What was your process (from year to year) and how many schools (if you don't mind sharing)?

Guest everyoneloveschem

I have no problems giving you details. Hopefully it gives someone hope.

Year 1: applied only to Mac, was interviewed, rejected.

Year 2: applied to Mac and UofO. Took a first year bio credit I need for UofO. No interviews.

Summer between year 2/3: studied for a couple months for a couple days a week for the MCAT. Wrote it, got a 34M (which basically made it useless).

Year 3: applied to UofO, Mac, Queens, NOSM, Western, Manitoba, Sask. Interviewed only at Ottawa, waitlisted, never got in.

Year 4: applied to UofO, Mac and Calgary. Got smart and applied to nursing, and pharmacy as well in case (took anatomy and physiology for nursing). No interview at Mac or Calgary. Interviewed at UofO and got in (phew).

I tell people this has been my hobby - it has consumed a lot of my time and money. I find that it is really stressful getting the applications together, and then I forget about it over the winter, but then my stress levels would build as I neared the interview invite time. I have received a fair bit of rejection and it has been hard at times, but I have an awesome family, a lot of support, and I'd say that I weathered it fairly well.

If anything it wasn't so much being rejected by med school that was bad, as not having a plan for the future, and just feeling like I was stalled for so long.

I am also going to be that much older than everyone else, and I worry about fitting in meeting someone and having kids. I'm glad that I have had four years to save up money :) . This year was going to be my last year, I've had enough rejection/limbo, but now I have the chance to try it out.

Looking back I would do the following things differently (and I know hindsight is 20/20, but maybe my insight will save another person the same mistake):

1. Make sure I took all the pre-reqs before graduating

2. Take 5 courses every term

3. Do lots of stuff during undergrad (but stuff you care about)

4. Study and work on all components of the MCATs (the M killed it for me).

5. Start on plan B and C earlier, because that way you are not so desparate.

If you want it, go for it, but keep perspective.

Guest acarpent1

hey elc,

YOU ARE ADMIRABLE!! And you totally deserve to be finally in!

How did you go about getting your reference letters? Did you use basically the same people every year?? How did you approach them for four years in a row? Did anyone give you the old "Agaaaaiinnnn" with an eyeroll? I'm not being disrespectful.. at all.. I'm just thinking.. with applying a few more times part of the difficulty (for me) will be asking people to write letters AGAIN and AGAIN.. I basically have no shot next year, because of an even lower entering GPA.. so I was thinking of skipping it alltogether and then applying the NEXT year just to save 3 people the pain in the ass of writing a letter (pointlessly) when I know I'll need to ask them at least one or two (and hopefully not three.. lol) more times After that! So how did you handle that? haha.. sorry to keep bugging you, but I really appreciate the posts (I think we all do.. those of us in the re-application boat)..

Guest blinknoodle

Hey there,

It is important to be both realistic but persistent if meds is your goal.

My close friend applied 3 times before she was admitted. She had fairly decent MCAT, GPA and ECs but crumbled in the interviews. She managed to get interviews at different medical schools each year (no repeats for some reason) - Calgary, Queen's, Ottawa, Toronto and McMaster altogether. She applied in both third and fourth year of undergrad and decided to pursue physiotherapy after graduation (she had been accepted to pharmacy and OT as well). After her first year of PT, she was finally accepted!

The important thing is to continually improve your application. There is no reason to keep the same reference letters if you don't want to. Nor should you feel ashamed for asking 3+ times, if you feel the referee is still significant. It can be tough to reapply as well. My friend had the further challenge that each year someone else would get admitted to medical school while she was still attempting. It can be rough. I know my friend didn't tell her PT classmates she was applying to meds because she wasn't sure she'd get accepted. But it is important to figure out why you weren't successful, try to work on your application if you can and work on your backup plan in the meantime.

Guest everyoneloveschem

My reference letters changed each year, as I my situation changed. I moved to different jobs, and had different interests so it made more sense to ask the people around me at the time for the letter rather than someone from four years earlier (plus as you say, it can be awkward, but do it if you need to because chances are they'll just take out the same letter and update it).

I must second what blinknoodle said, every year make the effort to improve your 'portfolio', even if it isn't stuff just to get into med school. It could be stuff you are doing to expand your other options, or new ECs you participate in.

In my UofO interview this year I was actually asked a question that touched on the length of time between my graduation from university and my med school application. Thankfully they did not push it after I gave my quasi-politician-esque answer, things could have gotten ugly if they had.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JewelLeigh

With respect to having kids/getting married....

I'm not non-trad, but I just got married in the middle of my 2nd year at Dal and so far it is wonderful :) Things could change in clerkship when the hours get a little more crazy...but I've warned my hubby in advance of the hours, so he married me knowing what he was getting himself into, hehe :) Generally, I think if a spouse is supportive and understands the commitment involved in becoming a doctor, then things should be fine.

When it comes to kids...there are two women in my class (both were non-trad applicants) who are having their first baby in the next 6 months. Both have worked it out that they will still graduate on time with our class and will each have 3 months off from clerkship when their babies are born.

So...possible to combine medicine and a family - I would say so :)

Good luck!

Guest LT76

Hey everyoneloveschem,

You're inspirational and I admire your perseverance! Congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks for sharing your story and giving us some tips. First time applying for me, interviewed/rejected at Mac, and waited list at U of O. But I'm starting my plan B early: study for the MCAT and take a few more courses. Luckily, I have a good career and a good income to support this expensive "hobby."

Take care and good luck with your next journey!

L.

Guest acarpent1

Thanks a LOT to everybody who replied.. it really made a difference to me to be able to hear about all of your unique experiences. Thanks! I feel a lot more uplifted & ready to keep going in my own path! (happily)

Guest chemgirl

I'm another person who had to make multiple attempts for admission. I got in on my third attempt (got an interview on my first and second attempt). Somewhere in between all those years, I got married. Financially, it makes things harder, but not unbearable. My husband would perhaps like to see me more often, but I don't think it's that hard on him... his job keeps him working late and his hobbies keep him occupied most days. I'm 27 right now, and I won't be having a family until I'm 30-31. My parents were older than this when I was born, so it's just "normal" to me to start later.

Please don't let the rejections get you down, perseverance in the face of adversity is an admirable quality and one that will help you succeed in medical school and beyond (hopefully, I wouldn't know yet!).

Guest misagh

Just wanted to add my two cents. This time 'round will be my 4th attempt. I was fortunate enough to have interviews each year, but somehow, I never managed to break past the waitlist. I'm sure it was a combo of poor interview performance, GPA, and MCAT.

Seems like with every two steps forward, it's one step back. Having supportive friends and family has helped keep me strong. My situation is very similar to everyoneloveschem's, so I won't add much more.

This thread has been very informative and supportive, I appreciate everyone's comments!

Everyoneloveschem, is it OK if I contact you via email and ask you a few things? As I mentioned, my situation is very similar to yours, and I'd like to pick your brain about a few things.

Archived