Premed 101 Forums

accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread for non-trads

Guest ssc427

Guest ssc427

In preparation for May 15th can one of the mods please sticky a thread for this? It might be useful for future non-trads.

In addition to noting the usual GPA/MCAT and schools where you've been accepted/waitlisted/rejected, it might be useful to list some of your more 'non-trad' attributes, such as age, background, and number of children/dependents.

Guest happy2bme

I'm a Calgary AND Manitoba resident and Manitoba Special Applicant (therefore I had two interviews at Manitoba) by admissions definitions. Currently living in Calgary.

My GPA was for my first degree was around 3.0ish, worst year 2.65 and my second degree 3.8ish, best year 4.0 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: N- seriously, but look at my posts and my lack of sentence structure is obvious.

I was accepted by Calgary. This is my second time applying to this school. I loved the MMI!!!

I was also accepted by Manitoba, it was my first time applying to this school.

I was interviewed at UofC and Manitoba.

Of all the schools I applied to, I WILL attend Calgary as my first choice.

As a side note I am an older applicant(32, 33 when school starts!) with healthcare experience and a family! My extracurics included things like "soccer mom", female hockey player , and examiner for a national professional association.

Guest nucleardove

Congrats happy!!

That's awesome! I'm so happy for you. Now you can concentrate on your eye-rolling skills for the fall (heavily exercised when dealing with some of the more "green" members of your class). ;)

Woo!

ND

Guest ssc427

Congrats Happy!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a BC resident with 3.7 ish GPA UGrad GPA.

BS 12

PS 13

VR 11

W Q

Accepted to UBC (IMP), UofT, UofM, Columbia

Waitlisted UofA, Western, Queens, UofO, McGill, Harvard, Stanford... talk about med school purgatory!

But I'd like to attend UBC as my first choice so all's good.

I also am finishing my PhD, am 29 with 1.9 children (second one is due in June)

Guest satsumargirl

Congrats on getting in guys/gals!

It probably makes sense to post also in the other section...if u feel like it. So all the stats stay together!

Hopefully I will see some of you at Ottawa this fall!

Sats

Guest weerdo

As a non-trad lurking on this forum for over 3 years, I'm ecstatic to be be able to post my acceptance to McMaster!

I'm 37, married with 2 young children. I have just completed my 3 year BSc. in Health Science at UofT.

GPA 3.77, no Mcat. First time applying.

I think there are basically 2 reasons why I was successful with a not so stellar GPA.

First, I have over 13 years experience as an Advanced Care Paramedic. Second, I completed my degree full-time, 5 courses per year, while working 40 hours per week (all night shifts) and being a T/A the first semester of each year to cover my tuition and finish without undergrad debt.

I know it's not optimal to be applying to meds this late in the game, but for me, I chose to take care of family first, and wait until my kids were both settled full-time in school. I'm sure there are many of you out there in the same boat.

I am glad to say that I now know hard work will be noticed and acknowledged!!

Good luck to all, ....as a non-trad, I know that there are many tangibles we can offer any school based on life experiences that just cannot be gained unless you have lived outside of school for a while. Hope to see some of you guys at Mac this fall!:D :D :D

Guest weerdo

Sleep?, well not so much....actually I got used to 5 or 6 hours a night, a little less than I was accustomed to, but certainly not horrible. It was more about time management and prioritizing throughout the day.

I was able to discuss how I balanced work, school and family (with huge support from my wife) in a few of the questions during the interview, and I think that helped alot.

I so pumped now, I probably won't sleep for a week!

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I'm a 28 year old Alberta resident, married, have a 2 year old, and my wife is expecting our second in mid-June. I have a BSc in Biochemistry, and have spent about 4 years working in a number of research labs as a technician - just never quite jumped on the grad degree train, and now I don't have to.

GPA: 3.56ish

MCAT: 12,12,12,S (trying to make up for that GPA :) )

I was accepted by: UofA (apparently they don't just take 22 year olds)

Waitlisted by: UofC, then accepted in early June

Rejected post-interview by: UBC

(still waiting on UofM)

Rejected pre-interview by: UofT, UWO, UofO, Queens.

I have accepted the offer from UofC

Guest Matt66GT

I'm 28 from Northern Ontario, not married but close. I have a Marketing Degree and an MBA. I went to school in the USA on sports scholarships in both grad and undergrad. Since then I've worked for about 4 years in the pharmaceutical industry.

My GPA is 3.68 including a .2 boost for grad school.

I didn't take the MCAT.

Not French speaking or aboriginal.

I was accepted at NOSM and rejected at MAC.

I have mixed feelings about the financial side of things but thrilled to be going back to school in my own backyard.

Guest 24medgirl

Hello all,

Education: Bsc. Applied Human Nutrition (Dietetics)

Have been working as a Registered Dietitian in the healthcare system for 3 years.

This is my first time applying to medical school.

Applied to: Mac, NOSM and Ottawa

Rejected pre-interview: Mac and NOSM

Interviewed: Ottawa (1st choice anyway)

Accepted at Ottawa from the "good" waitlist on June 5, 2006 at 1:30pm EST.

wGPA: 3.6

Loads of extracurriculars - playing soccer, volleyball, hiking, cooking, yoga

Lots of volunteer - mostly charity oriented + coaching soccer

SOOOOO excited to be attending U of Ottawa Meds in the fall! It's a dream come true. :rollin

T.

Guest Kenola

Hi all,

34 y/o male, married, 1 daughter. Saskatchewan resident.

Undergrad studied 2 years in biochemistry, 1 year in pharmacy. First time applying to U of S. Accepted, with an 89 average for two best full time years.

Kenola

Guest happy2bme

Well it looks like the nontrads have done quite well this year, hopefully we will see some more postings once people are done declining multiple offers and those waitlists start moving.

I just dropped off my cheque to calgary and I'm calling today to start the needle poking....

Guest MacPT

34 y/o, married, 2 kids + 1 en route

BSc (Kin), BHSc (Physio), MSc (resp physiology)

GPA ~ 3.6 (hard to weigh Physio) + 0.2 grad school

elementary & highschool in Northern Ontario

applied Mac, Ottawa, NOSM

offered & accepted NOSM :D

good luck to all

cheers,

MacPT

Guest haikuguy

I guess I'll post this here no sunny news though...

I am 28, have a Master's in Immunology from UBC, and did my undergrad at U of C. Undergrad GPA isn't great, a couple of bad years, 3.5 over my best two (last two). Grad GPA is somewhere around 3.9. I count as a resident in BC, and in Alberta.

MCAT - 9/10/10/Q (PS/BS/VR/WS)

Applied to

U of T, U of C, U of A, UBC, Queens.

Rejected pre-interview at all schools (missed the interview cutoff at U of C by 3 points on their rating scale)

I don't have any papers from my Master's, unfortunately, but had funding through CIHR and have one abstract. Lots of EC and work experience (lifeguard, worked for an optometrist, student council, captain sports teams, yada yada yada). I also have an 10 year old daughter (which is part of the reason for the sh** grades in first years of undergrad: baby + school + work = stress).

This is my second round of applications. Two years ago I was interviewed (and blew it) at U of C, and rejected from U of A.

Re-writing the MCAT this year, trying to get some more volunteering in...

Hopefully next year will be my year...

Guest Fizz29

I am an Alberta resident nearing the end of a PhD. Oh and I turned 30 this year...guess that makes me non-traditional :b

GPA: 3.6

Pre-req GPA: 3.7

MCAT: 34S

I was accepted by U of A and this is my second time applying (rejected pre-interview at U of A and post-interview at U of C last year with an MCAT score of 25R). I only applied to U of A this year...call me crazy but I thought I would work for a year and then apply everywhere but now it looks like I will be a med student!!

I have done little volunteer work but have lots of research experience, publications, and have sat on various committees. There was a point when I almost gave up on the idea of medical school because everything seemed so overwhelming...finishing my PhD, studying for the MCAT, doing volunteer work to beef up my application, re-applying, accumulating more debt but I think I may a good example of how perseverance and determination reaps rewards.

Guest potential md

Hi there,

I am 33, single with BSc (Biology) and an MBA. I've worked at a bank for the last 6 years in marketing and corporate social responsibility.

Here's my stats:

MCAT: 29O (I don't think my writing is that bad, my hunch is that the US folks didn't appreciate my writing an essay examining the legalization of gay marriage as an example of "positive social change" - oh well, you know us Canadians)

GPA: 3.67

Grad GPA - hard to scale

Applied UBC, U of C and McMaster (missed Dalhousie's MCAT cutoff by 1 mark so didn't bother)

Rejected pre interview - U of C (missed their cutoff by 4 points) and McMaster

Accepted at UBC (IMP)!! Yippee!! The Island medical program was my first choice. ;)

See ya this fall ssc.

Good luck everyone. There's obviously hope for us non-trad applicants yet. :>

Guest jaegwon

Hi everyone,

I've been waiting to get out of wait list purgatory before posting on this thread...and it finally happened today!

I'm 26 and married. I did a BSc ('02) and an MSc ('04) at UofA and have been travelling (a little) and working (a lot) since.

My MCAT was 32R. My overall undergrad GPA is pretty pedestrian (3.4ish) because of my first two years, but my most recent 2 year undergrad average (3.75) + grad school marks got me past the Queen's cutoff.

I applied all over in Canada and the US. I had one interview in each country (Queen's and SUNY Upstate). I thought each of the interviews went well...I ended up on the waitlist for both and got an offer from Queen's today (June 7th).

Guest wylie348

Oops - I guess I should have posted here a while ago. I know I should just follow Happy around and see where the posts are...!

I'm a Calgary resident currently living in Medicine Hat.

My GPA for calculation purposes was around 3.8 (best two years), I did my undergrad (BEd) and graduate (MSc) degrees at U of C.

MCAT:

Written Sample: Q

I was accepted off the waitlist by Calgary. This is my second time applying to this school. I also loved the MMI!!! (Sorry for stealing your format Happy!)

I only applied to Calgary.

Obviously, I WILL attend Calgary as my only choice.

I am an older applicant (Over 40 - nuff said) with a background in Mathematics, Computer Science, and Psychology. My extracurics included things like Mini-Soccer Coach, Chess Club whipping boy, hockey player , spelunker, and Association of Canadian Mountain Guides Flunky (ACMG Rocks - get it?) - oops did I leave out time well wasted playing foosball?

Needless to say, I am probably the oldest student of class of 2009!

:)

Guest happy2bme

I officially will not be the oldest student in the Class of 2009. Now I will be going for "Best Looking", oh wait if any of my MMI group got in I've lost that one too!......LOL

Archived