Premed 101 Forums

idiosyncracies of the various schools

Guest siobhansiobhan

Guest siobhansiobhan

I'm starting this thread, because I find it helpful when each person's hard-earned knowledge is pooled together.

I'm thinking of how each school gets known for something, but then it turns out that there are qualificaitons and addenda. Of course, these change each year!

For instance University of Manitoba weighting MCAT heavily (was in my favour) but does not give special consideration to those who apply out of province (not in my favour) and have a gpa cut-off that is much higher for out of province candidates (didn't see that anywhere in their literature, but found out on ezboard, checked it out, and even saw it reflected in their stats for interviewees last year - nobobdy was interviewed with lower than 3.9 out of (edit) 4.5, from out of province).

Or, with McMaster having a 3.0 cutoff, but having had the highest entering average in Canada last year.

Or with Dalhousie being quite strict with who can claim in-province - if you're from there, but you declare yourself in-province elsewhere, or if you have worked two years in a different part of the country, you are no longer in-prov.

Those are the parts that work against me.

There are also more positive loopholes/addenda to know about - ubc 10-year-rule and all that.

If this is a useful thread for others, maybe we could put that sort of info in one place, here,

and preferably back it up with a source, so that it's not just hear-say.

Could also be useful for folks like me, monitoring to see if a programme ever changes to be more in my favour of gaining entry.

Siobhan

Archived