Premed 101 Forums

Special Consideration

Guest soapyslicer

Guest soapyslicer

Hi everyone,

Has anyone who applied under the special consideration category actually gotten a letter they say was sent out on Friday. I finally gave in andphoned. Was told that the meeting of the committee had happened and both rejections and acceptances for interviews of this category were all sent out at the same time. Things usually get to me in a day or two as I live on campus but again this morning it was a big fat zero!!

How much losec is too much!!!!!!

soapyslicer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi soapyslicer,

The special consideration meeting supposedly took place either on January or February 16th. I received my no-to-special-consideration letter from UBC sometime last month.

Cheers and good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

Hi guys,

Sorry I have not written sooner, busy trying to get my thesis in. I finally gave up and phoned again. It appears that my letter was not sent and i went in a picked it up. Joy as usual was wonderful, too bad the news wasn't.

Just a little frustrated as I did so well last year and was told they wanted to see my mark on my thesis prior to entry given I had some previous low marks. Of course I can only do this if I get an interview!

The good news is I get a whole year to spend with my kids. Too bad as I had really hoped to get first year finish before the expansion.

Kristeen, sorry to hear of your disappointments, thought you would be in for sure this year.

soapyslicer

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Kirsteen,

I had my meeting with Dr. Frinton and while I found out that I would not be offered a seat it was highly illuminating. She is, in my humble opinion, exactly what the med school needs. She was very straight forward on why I did not get sp this year. At the same time she works very hard to show you exactly what you need to do to be successfully next year.

One interesting note is that my extra curricular mark was 4.5 less than last year. While she assured me it was still very high, I had more on it than last year. She said that it was this subjectiveness of the process that is leading them to change how that portion of the application will be marked next year. It may be that which has led to some not getting an interview who did last year. I think she said the cutoff was 33 or 34/50 this year. With 4.5 less out of 50 I was just too far away from the mean to be considered under any circumstances.

Anyways, thats it for me this year!

soapyslicer

Guest shrimp

soapyslicer, sorry to hear your news. Can you share what kind of things we can declare to be qualified for special consideration? Is your reason very personal or you can share with us? Thank you.

Next year UBC will have 200 seats! I wonder how they will choose which people go to the Northern and which go to the Island program.

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Shrimp,

I can honestly say that your circumstances must be really, really compelling. On top of that you must still score within one or two of the cutoff for interviews. I have had several, life changing/threatening challenges to both myself and my spouse in the years during my undergrad and masters. Through it I had to work to support us, usually worked nights and went to school during the day, had both kids during final exams(my timing really sucks) and it was still not enough.

I think people will find that with Dr. Frinton and Joy Bennett they will bew able to have advising sessions that tell them exactly where they stand. After my meeting with Dr. Frinton I believe what she will bring to the process is transparency. Instead of trying to figure out why you didn't get in they focus on exactly what you need to do to get in. Of course they do go over weakness as compared to applicant group but remember you need to be strong so that no matter what the pool is like next year you get in. That means you want your score to be in the high 30's low 40's range. People often try to focus on higher GPA which is obviously important as we found out last year but there are lots of little things you can do to boost your non-academics. I think they said that they typically get and average of 16/25 but I think this year it will be lower. I know the method of assessing it will change for next year however there are so many simple ways to get involved in things and get a mark or two extra. Lets face it, it is often easier to shine in the non-academics as this area is often not the focus for many students.

Having said all of that, look at your application. Have others look. Have people you respect, and who know you well go over your non-academic sheet too. They may come up with things you never thought of. Consider it a brag sheet without having to sound like your bragging. My mark this year was 4.5 lower that last year in this area and hence no interview. They say this will change next year as the marking won't be so subjective. The lesson is if you think you have enough on it put more. if you have room and you have an activity you think is important put it on

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

It's great that you managed to get some good insights and feedback from Dr. Frinton. Hopefully you'll be able to use that in your applications in the future.

I'm curious as to the changes that are being made to the non-academic assessment of the application. Was this elaborated on at all? I'd was told last year that UBC were hoping to move to a panel-style interview, but that's well beyond the initial application assessment!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest me maniac

soapyslicer,

The day before I plan on leaving for my interviews and they close the Coquahalla highway! What luck!

I will, therefore, be leaving tonight by bus (argh!) and will phone you when I get into town. Could you please email me your home phone number again? I have lost it, sorry.

hopefully we will be able to hook up while I'm in town.

me

Archived