Premed 101 Forums

update webpage for ubc

Guest GI Jenie

Guest GI Jenie

hey guys,

i'm confused - now the ubc status update page says that it will take them until at least March 5th to contact all applicants...but Friday they said something else.

anybody got a clue?

GI Jenie>:

Guest tinee007

Since they told you otherwise last Friday (which isn't too long ago), maybe it would be best to give them a quick call? I'm just wondering why they would say the 5th of March when it's the middle of the week. Usually, they say up uptil the Friday of that week...so maybe it's a typo?

Guest coastalslacker

If anyone calls UBC to confirm either the 5th or 15th of March (I thought it was the latter, since that it was it said up until last Friday on their website) could you please post on this forum. I would call myself but I'm out of the country (and waiting nervously....). thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

I received word from UBC today that they've contacted the majority of the interviewees already and that they are aiming to hold all of their interviews in March. They are also hoping to have the remaining rejections sent out this week. I received word, in not too explicit terms, that I should be receiving one of those letters. :\

Good luck to you all,

Kirsteen

Guest GI Jenie

I don't know Kelly120, the entire admissions process seems like such a crap-shoot. Some of us just need closure. :(

I'm not sure whether to work for a year or do a two-year masters......anybody got any advice? I'm turning 23 this year, so this means IF I got in in two years after my masters, I would already be 25.

Any input would be appreciated.:\

Corrie

Guest not rex morgan

This sounds simple and almost patronizing, but what do you want? Use this year as if it were time given to you. Do you feel like it's an opportunity to do a masters, or do you feel like you should do one to put on your application. I, myself, worked for a year, still didn't get in, then went off and did some international volunteer work. I'm really happy I did that. I don't regret not doing a Masters. Keep that in mind making your decision. Good luck.

Guest soapyslicer

Don't confuse those who got an interview and were not offered a seat, then subsequently offered a seat in the class with those who were rejected without an interview.

I agree with not rex morgan. Having said that I did do a masters and it has been really worth it. I would recommend it over just doing an unclassified year. Many schools will tell you that if you have some low marks in the undergrad portion of your education, a Masters will reassure the committee that you are capable of handling the load of Medicine. A unclassified year can sometimes just appear as a GPA boost.

I would suggest that if you are going to so a Masters, do it in something you really like and if you only want to do one year find a masters that does not include a thesis.

soapyslicer

Guest shrimp

Does UBC have a one year non-thesis Master program? I think some Master programs in Arts will only take one year but I cannot think of any in Science. Can anyone tell us more?

I know that in U of Calgary they have a one year biomedical technology Master program.

Guest GI Jenie

Hi Guys,

The UBC faculty of medicine offers a one-year masters in health science and epidemiology. I looked into it and it involves a huge amount of statistics. You are also required to write the GRE and the deadline for applying was March 1st. Since I'm not sure that I like statistics, I thought it was a huge gamble to take because if you don't enjoy something, chances are you won't do well in it, and the last thing I need is mediocer masters degree on my transcript. Also, I didn't feel that a week before March 1, I would be able to properly deal with the GRE in time. Now, of course, the deadline has passed.

GI Jenie

Guest GI Jenie

BTW, Soapslicer,

Thanks for the good feedback. I was looking for people who had done a masters to provide some insight.

Good luck,

GI Jenie

Guest soapyslicer

Hi GI Jenie,

Don't forget you do not have to stick with UBC. As well you do not have to stick with Sciences. There is really no difference as long as you do well. The class this year has lots of non-science students. If you really need to boost your GPA - that is your overall is really low- then take courses. If it is even reasonable how much can you improve your non-academics, ie like not rex morgan did. If you have a whole year you can really get involved, you may even find something you want to stay involved with throughout your career.

I know some people think it is bad to request your file but if you applied this year and were rejected it is a great way to see where you failed to get marks. It allows you to focus your efforts where you need them. It isn't even the admissions people who arrange it so there is no black mark.

Hope you do well with what ever you try.

soapy

Guest kirin

Could not rex morgan let me know where he/she did their international volunteer work? I just finished my M.Sc. and I am really looking forward to some time off before I apply for Sept 2004 admissions. Thanks.

Guest not rex morgan

I went to India with an organization called Child Family Health International. I wouldn't outright recommend them as they kind of left me on my own for a while. They were a legitimate organization, and I did make my time there really worth while. There is (or at least there was) a website called the idealist that lists tons of legit organizations. http://www.idealist.org Just make sure you're not paying too much. Some of these groups want alot of coin from you. CFHI was reasonably priced and that's why I went with them. Ask organizations for email addresses of people who have gone before so you can ask questions. CIDA used to pay for volunteers, but their funding is limited, or it was when I went. CARE Canada was another one that didn't pan out for me, and I can't remember why. They were very helpful in providing me with resources for finding other groups.

Archived