Premed 101 Forums

Lower Level Courses

Guest mitchie41

Guest mitchie41

Does anyone know what UBC thinks of taking lower lever courses(100 level) in your upper years(2nd, 3rd, 4th)?

Will it work against you?

Guest vincecarterxv

it can be a problem if you're in your 4th year and you have quite a few lower level courses. And obviously a second year course is not as bad as a first year course. But I don't think it's a problem to take a couple in your 3rd year. I spoke to an advisor a long time ago about this.

Guest kellyl20

I would think it would depend on your reason for taking them. To satisfy prerequisites or just to boost up your marks. Think that the reason is obvious if it is for one or the other reason.

Guest Pucca81

I took a full year of Spanish 100 in my fourth year and a few other 100 and 200 level courses in my second and third year and I don't think they worked against me. Actually, I had a diversity of courses from different areas(Sociology, Anthropology, etc.) which they would have actually liked. I think it really depends on your reasons for taking them. For example, during the interview, I talked briefly about my reasons for taking Spanish 100. Also, in order to take some higher level courses, you would "have to" take lower level courses as prerequisites. For instance, I took Sociology 100 in my second year so that I could take Medical sociology (SOCI 484 - *i HIGHLY recommend this course!!!) in my third year. I don't think you should worry about it too much ;) Besides, as long as you prove that you can do well in the so-called tough (higher level) courses, it wouldn't hurt to take some lower level courses that you will enjoy either!

Archived