Premed 101 Forums

Do I Ever have a chance??

Guest tinee007

Guest tinee007

Can anyone give me any TRUTHFUL advice? I'm anxiously awaiting to see if UBC will offer me an interview this year (Didn't get one last year). Anyways, I'm wondering if I'm a lost cause for medicine since my academic marks are not very good. I have an overall of ~80, pre-reqs ~72 (eeekk)!, and last 60 cred ~82. My MCAT is only a 27N as well. Last year, they evaluated me with around 20th percentile for academics and ~85th percentile for extra-curriculars. And I was only one point away from getting an interview.

I guess I'm wondering if I have any chance at all and if there is any good news for people like me. I feel like there's not much I can do about my marks (and I don't think I want to do grad studies).

Also, how many times can one apply to ubc??

Also, I'm a bc resident.

Thanks to anyone that can give me some input during this frustrating time...

Guest kellyl20

Don't worry; if you check the stats of the people who accepted UBC last year (or the previous years) your marks are very fine for UBC. Mcat is more important for the non science students. There does not seem to be a strict cutoff for academic marks as other provinces have.

Good luck.

Guest not rex morgan

Well if it makes you feel any better, I didn't get interviews the first TWO years I applied. They took pity on me the third year and interviewed me. They, then, put me on the waitlist. It was a long, hard road into med school, but here I am. My marks were slightly higher than yours, but only statistically significant. There are people in my class with lower grades. I can't remember what UBCs cutoff for the MCAT is. Generally it's seen as a flag, but if you are below the cutoff, that would definitely be something you could pull up by writing it again. If you don't want to do grad school, DON'T. Do something you genuinely want to do. I worked in a lab for a year, then got some international experience the next. I thought about grad school, but really didn't want to do it. You still have a chance...trust me. :)

Guest Jim2375

I believe the academic standing is based on your overall average and last 60 credit average.

It comes as a shock to me that after getting 80 % overall and 82% in the last 60 credits, your academic standing was 20th percentile.

And I think the policy on the MCAT scores is changed. I was told that they will no longer look at the MCAT scores as a flag. Academic and non academics are evaluated for everyone and if considered competitive the individual will be invited for an interview. MCATs will only be looked at in the very end - at the final decision. Did anyone else hear anything about this ?

Guest physiology

Hey guys,

Do you think IF I were to apply in 3rd year with a low to mid eighties average, they'd interview me?

I have pretty good extra-currics - like a research project lined up this summer with an eating-disorder expert, work with HIV/AIDS patients, and various leadership opportunities.

Anyway, I don't really wanna discuss anymore because it makes me feel narcissistic (sp?)

But you get the point. So thanks for your feedback.

Guest kellyl20

right average stats for acceptance if the last few years are any indication but very few 3rd yrs so class could be a bit older than other med schools

Archived