Premed 101 Forums

UBC COurses

Guest Ska Band

Guest Ska Band

I'm going to be entering UBC next year and i'm sorta contemplating my course schedule for next year when some questions arose in my mind:

Firstly, is Bio 112(cell Biology) an important course to take for the MCAT? Considering that UBC's Med School only requires Bio 121+140 to apply.

Secondly, most life science programmes only require Phys 101( and not phys 102). Is physics 102 an important course to take for the MCAT?

Finally, Can anyone tell me of their experiences in the Microbiology, Biochem or Physiology programmes?

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Guest snowball

hey...

i just finished 3rd yr micb... but things have changed quite a bit since i was in first yr...

let's see...

do well on the prereqs that med schools want...

phys 102 i don't think is needed necessarily (not really on mcat)

i think biol 201 is cell bio as well.. so if you already have biol 12... you don't need biol 112?

as for what major... i suggest you talk to some profs/tas/gradstudents in each area... perhaps as to follow around for a day? that helps you to see if you'll like learning about it.. (that's how i decided micb)

earlier u do this.. the better (this summer is good... profs have more time too..)

=0>

Guest sdfd

I can tell you that the 2001 Physiology class after only 2 years of admissions (last year and just last month) are now 100% all in to the program of their choice (meds or dents). Take from that what you may.

Guest dsDNA

Hi Ska Band,

I'm not really sure if you'll need Biol 112. Like Snowball said, Biol 201 is a pretty in-depth cell biology course and it should help you with your MCATs.

I found Phys 102 to be much more interesting that Phys 101. Phys 102 covers some topics that are in the MCAT (ie. circuit analysis, etc.) but these topics are also covered in grade 12 physics.

Although I wasn't in the microbiology program, I took a few of their courses and found them to be really interesting. However, exams were very detail oriented and required extensive memory work.

Archived