Premed 101 Forums

payment for GP checkup

Guest kakashifan

Guest kakashifan

hey guys..

did you read Shelly Fralic's commentary today in the Vancouver Sun? She mentioned how we have to pay out of our pocket if we wanted a general health checkup from our GP. (And we don't pay if the GP initiates this? how do would they know if we need a checkup?)

Did you guys know about this?

Can you guys shed more light on this?

(can you tell I haven't gone to my GP for more than 2 years?)

thanks!

=0. k

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118446740</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>payment for GP checkup</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>red</username>

<dateline>1109352420</dateline>

<title>GP checkup</title>

<pagetext>My understanding from personal experience is that GP's can decide what they want to charge. I was charged $100 for a physical for a first aid course (I'm assuming this may be what is meant by a check-up). Such check-ups aren't covered by the province. Some GP's charge only $30 (got this from a friend who knew her doc for 20 years).

Wow!! I really didn't know that at all!! I thought it was all covered by GP's. Then we are only charged if it's an emergency situation or what? We can't just go and check up for free (or being coverd by MSP?)

How about if one goes to clinics where it has GPs (but not my specific family physician, just a random clinic). Does that also apply?

Thanks a bunch! I wish I had bought yesterday's paper to read that article!

Dunes

Guest Kels2004

I don't know much about it, but I remember paying when I needed the check up for my class 4 drivers license. I think I paid $40.

I would guess ?!? that MDs can't bill MSP for these physicals because they are not medical necessary and therefore need to get some renumeration for it.

k

Archived