Premed 101 Forums

anatomy vs physiology

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Hello guys!

For those you who took anatomy and physiology courses in UBC before. What are the differences? Should I just take either anatomy or physiology? Is it a overkill to take both?

PHYL 301 Human Physiology

ANAT 390 Introduction to Microscopic Human Anatomy

ANAT 391 Introduction to Gross Human Anatomy

Guest Dunes

Anatomy is more of memorization of various body parts, and description of what you see if you dissect the body, where organs are and how they look like (histology for 390 and Gross anatomy for 391). Physiology explores the "function" of body systems and how it works (Circulation and how it happens, electricity of the heart, muscle action..etc).

Both these courses are very very enjoyable and if you can take both (I mean all three courses) then go for it. they are all taught in medical school so they are perfect prep. for you.

Hope this helps :)

Guest oliver5

I took all three and all within the same year, there was quite a bit of overlap between the classes but I really enjoyed them. I liked physiology better and if you can only take one of them I'd take that one :) .

Guest smooth operater

I am able to take all of them if I want to, but my only concern is that physiology may be too ######## for me who is not strong in biology, but love it. Then my GPA would drop dramatically since it's a 6 credits course. Thus, it will decrease my chance of getting in professional school. Do most people do pretty well in physiology 301? Thanks for the help!:D

Guest 604EL

I took all 3 in my undergrad also. They're good courses to take, and I didn't find them too difficult. I actually did quite well in them. PHYL301 will definitely come in handy. Just to let you know though, all your marks will be based on one final exam in dec and one final exam in april, no midterms or anything. At least that's what it was like when I took it. I found ANAT390 easier, but ANAT391 is more interesting and useful.

Guest smooth operater

may I ask you when did you take them? It's kinda scary to have all the mark based on two finals in this 6 credits course. What was the class average for this course you know? thank man!

Guest 604EL

I took those courses during the 2001/02 session, so it wasn't TOO long ago. I just dug out my transcript and this is what the class averages were:

ANAT390

class size: 440

class avg: 75%

ANAT391

size: 378

avg: 75%

PHYL301

size: 447

avg: 71%

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mysticalbc

I haven't taken human physiology but I took both anatomy 390 and 391 last year (04-05). If you are concerned about getting a good mark then i'm pretty sure that anatomy 391 is what u should go for,, there is nothing tricky about it and Dr. Roskelley is one of the best profs at ubc (in my opinion).. the course is VERY well-organized and they have optional tutorials where u can look at body parts if u wish... the final was really easy and u dont need to read the book if u dont want to,,, u learn a lot in that course.. as far as histology (anatomy 390) goes i, personally, dont like the way the have organized the course (about 10 instructors, each one teaching a particular section). its very confusing because some expect u to read the book, some dont,, the book is not written for an undergrad course and its superdetailed and very frustrating to read. The midterm and final both include stuff from the book and if they dont, the questions are pretty tricky,, i did not learn anything in that course,, maybe because the stuff we learned wasnt that tangible to me since its mostly microscopic and there is no lab that goes with it,, as far as it being a good prep for med, i would say it is, just because u become familiar with the terms,, otherwise, i wouldnt take that course again,,

about physiology, i've heard its pretty good but its a lot of work and u have to keep urself updated as u go along,, and also, its a 6 credit course and the final in april is worth the most marks (correct me if i'm wrong)..

anyways, good luck next year :)

Guest mysticalbc

no, the course instructor was Dr. Alimohammadi,, but we had about 10 other profs teaching the course along with alimohammadi. I am not sure if O'conner taught anything.. if so, it should not have been more than 1-2 lectures

Guest TKP 123

When I was an undergrad back in 2000-01, I was taking Physiology 301 and Anatomy 390. I did not take Anatomy 391.

It wasn't that bad together to take both physio and anatomy. But for physiology 301, it was kinda like a 6 credits course (may be it still is now, correct me if i am wrong), and in the final exams of the second term, there was a small portion of questions testing the material taught in term 1, which makes the final exams challenging. But again, correct me if I am wrong because I am not sure if they still do that.

However, at the end, I love Physiology better. The way it was organized was a bit better than Anatomy 390 in the old days. I am not sure about Anatomy 391 as I have never taken it before.

TKP.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smooth operater

Due to course conflicts, I can only take physiology 301 first then anat 390, 391. That's the only way I can take all 3 courses in next 2 years.

so, can I do well in physiology 301 without any anatomy background?

Thanks so much!

Guest MedAnxiety

Hi Smoothoperator, I did not take Anat 390 or 391 and still did quite well in PHYL 301, so i assure u that the anatomy courses are not prerequisites for phyl.

Good luck!

Guest TKP 123

Hello,

You should be able to do well without Anatomy 390 background.

My girlfriend took Phyl 301 at her third year and then Anatomy 390 at her fourth year.

She could get a high score in Phyl 301 without any related background. Quite frankly, all you need is Biology 12 in high school. First year biology didn't help us much back in our days.

TKP

Guest smooth operater

cool, thanks TKP, I am planning to take physio 301 without any background in my 3rd yr too. Now I have more confident to take it first without anatomy courses. May I ask when did your gf take physiology 301? Thanks

Archived