Premed 101 Forums

How Long............?

Guest TripleA

Guest BCgirl

UBC should finish most of the interviews by the end of March. They plan to start offering positions by the middle of April and should be done by the end of May (except for those on the wait list).

Guest monkey

Hi there,

I just went to the UBC orientation and they said that they start offering the positions in May. Did you call recently and get a different answer?

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there monkey,

Ditto information from this end too: the Admissions Office mentioned that acceptances should be mailed out for the MD/PhD program a couple of days before those for the MD program, the latter of which should be around the end of the first week of May. However, if other reports are true, I'd be one of the first to say that it would be nice to know what the future holds a little earlier, say next month!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest BCgirl

monkey,

at the info session (on Thursday), Dr. Bates said they should be ready to start offering positions around the middle of April (at least that's what I thought I heard). Plus in one of the letters they emailed me with my interview info it states the same thing. Two weeks isn't a big deal anyway.

Guest monkey

Thanx gals...

i was just wondering because I'm going to be in thailand most of april. Do they phone your contact person instead if you're not in town?

Guest BCgirl

monkey,

The topic of being out of town when acceptances are given out was discussed at the info session I went to. They don't offer acceptances over the phone, so if you're going to be out of town then you should give them the name and info of someone who you authorize to accept the position on your behalf. I would call the admissions office to double check exactly what you should do.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Guest Relax

What are you people going to do if you don't get into medical schools?

You guys all seem to be too tense with every little question.

Medicine is not all your life.

Guest monkey

Actually,

I do feel quite relaxed....especially since my vacation is coming up. Seeing as how I spent some good money and time on the application, it is important to me that I don't lose a spot because of mere carelessness. That's understandable right?

There is more to life than medicine. I agree with you on that point. In fact I will be away travelling with my girlfriend for 1/3 of U of T's interview period. I feel really comfortable with that, happy in fact.

BC placement is especially important for me because my family is here. My grandparents are getting really old....so if I do medicine anywhere, I would definately like it to be here.

Please think carefully before you make these comments. They can be especially hurtfull when they are not true and make presumptions about another person's life.

Guest not rex morgan

I don't know about that. I think Monkey raises a good point. Email and these web posting boards have no inflection etc (unless you use emoticons, and even then...) Times are stressfull for applicants right now. I don't think anyone would really lose tons of sleep over a comment some big meanie makes, but it is nice to keep things nice. I think stress can also lead people to make snarky comments like the one above. I guess we all revert back to childhood in stressfull times. Try to make something positive out of these negative feelings. You'll feel alot better than you do if you post a charged remark...not to mention, actualising your maturity is the first step towards being a good professional.

I disagree with the comment that "Medicine is not your life"

Going into the medical field means incorporating learning and practising medicine into your life. As anyone knows, being an MD requires intense training and much commitment even after grad.

So yes, medicine is my life! If you don't look at it seriously, would any patient really want to come to you? This isn't a hobby, it is a serious career decision.

Guest Lextak

I have just read a few previous posts. I think each of you guys are partly right in some issues.

Yes, medicine is your life ONLY WHEN you get accepted.

If you don't get accepted, you keep trying, fine. But Medicine is not your life in that regard. Keep your eyes open for some alternatives and be realistics. There are many people who don't get into med schools every year, and these people just keep doing a Graduate degree or some other things, just to get into med school. In this regard, I don't suggest that Medicine is your life.

So, 311, only until you have been medical school, medicine is your life. Otherwise, you are too early to say that.

Archived