Premed 101 Forums

academic percentile

Guest kk

To all those who have previously applied to UBC:

What is the percentage average you need to be ranked in the >90th percentile?

Do they weigh the average of your most recent 60 credits and your prerequisite average equally?

My average of the most recent 60 credits is around 84 and my prereq average is around 86. Can anyone tell me where I stand?

Guest Ian Wong

No idea. Your percentile ranking would vary somewhat from year to year just due to the different applicant pool each time. But if you look at previously released statistics on the UBC Med website:

www.med.ubc.ca/md/admission/stats/page2.htm

...you'll see that both of those marks you just quoted are above the averages of <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> accepted<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> medical applicants for this past year.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest not rex morgan

Where you "stand" is not completely indicated by your marks, but yes they are above average by a couple of percentage points. They really evaluate you outside of school. I've known people with grades in the high 80's, low 90's, who weren't granted interviews b/c they had never worked a day in their lives outside of school. With that said, your grades will not impede your admissions. If you've got a few other bases covered, you'll most likely get an interview and that's when you have the opportunity to impress them with your worldliness. Good luck. Your grades are fine.

Archived