Premed 101 Forums

Tardy Canada Post

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

I was thinking of giving UBC a shout today to ask them this, but was wondering if any of you have any knowledge...

Given the higgledy-piggledy nature of air transport these days and the concomitant disruption of postal services over long distances, there is a chance that some things slightly beyond our total control, i.e., letters of reference, may appear at UBC doors a little late. Does anyone know if UBC are lenient with respect to this sort of thing?

I made sure to distribute my LoR packages to the writers early, and did include those pre-paid Canada Post courier envelopes, yet I'm still a little concerned. Also, I recall that last year, although there was no large reason for a disruption in postal service, and although my LoR writers sent their letters off early, some of them were still delayed, but UBC had already extended their application deadline by then...

Any input would be fabbo!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Akane200

I don't have a lot of faith in Canada Post. These are your apps and are you willing to rely on the good old postal service for them? They very often lose things or it comes in extremely late or in variable timing depending on where it's from (only 3 days if it's from Japan!) and where it's sent to (5-7 days to BC), or even which postal outlet you dropped you letters/parcels to (fastest if you dropped your parcel off in the downtown postal outlet in Commerce Court as opposed to your local shopper drug mart out in the suburbs).

I went Fedex for everything that I sent in to anywhere including OMSAS (I always did wonder why the OMSAS office had to be in Guelph...) but excluding one acceptance (which I just dropped off at school in person). It's more expensive, but at least it gives you peace of mind, and it always arrives in 24 hrs.

But I guess it's out of your control when it comes to letters of reference. Chances are likely that you're not the only one, and that the schools will extend the deadlines.

I emailed UBC last week and the lady replied saying that the deadline is firm. I thought the same thing as you (that because of what is happening in the states and slow postal service that the deadline might be extended). I was told that the deadline will be firm and to use courier to get my app and any references there on time. I think the deadline should be postmarked not get there by that date since once you drop your envelope in the mail, it's out of your hands and your power. If I were you, I would contact your referees and tell them not to send the letters via Canada Post. Buy FedEx envelopes and give them to your referees. I did that last week... I think the FedEx shipping is around $15 to get there by 10:30 am the next day. Don't take any chances!

Good luck! :)

Guest Kirsteen

Yikes,

I actually did use FedEx for the application, proper. What a fabulous service--reliable online tracking and delivery from Toronto to Vancouver in less than 24 hours. Although my LoR writers are pretty diligent, I did entrust them with the letters and the Canada Post ExpressPost envelopes.

Hmmmm. Thanks for your advice guys, I think I'll give UBC a quick shout to try and garner some peace of mind, or at least, some new strategies!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

I spoke with one person in the office today and they said that they expect that reference letters may appear beyond the Oct. 1st deadline. Therefore, with respect to those items, as long as they are sent out within the next few days, (and we were talking explicitly about Canada Post's ExpressPost service), they allow a number of days beyond Oct. 1st as a buffer period for receipt.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kristen,

Are you certain about the several day's grace period for the reference letters? I e-mailed admissions as well and they were fairly adamant about it. I still have a few outstanding documents, with a reference letter being one of them and am a little bit worried that it won't get there in time.

As an aside, why do applicants get punished (by having their applications disqualified) due to, say, the mailing system or referees who simply forgot (not on purpose, but purely by the volume of work - and YES, I've reminded them many, many times)? I thought we were applying based on our potential to be doctors. These factors are so very much beyond our control. I'd say, let OMSAS be the model! :) Even tardy reference letters are considered there, which really is a much more REASONABLE (notice I did not say "fair") way of doing things. In medicine, rarely do things go as plan anyway, so why should the application process by totally stringent and leave no room for "the human factor?"

My 2-cents.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Jase,

I'm certain that that's what I was told, since I had the same concern as you regarding reference letters only; whether or not that is actually adhered to remains to be seen.

Regarding deadlines, is anyone aware of why last year's deadline was pushed out from its original end of September/beginning October date?

Cheers and good luck,

Kirsteen

Not sure if this is why, but I suppose that by pushing the deadline up, they can possibly offer positions earlier? I guess they "lose" a lot of applicants to other schools if they don't do it this way.

Or perhaps it is some administrative thing - more convenient to start earlier.

Archived