Premed 101 Forums

interview percentile

Guest cici

Guest cici

Hi everyone,

For those who have been accepted, what's your percentile for your interview performance? Some of my friends have >90 percentile in academics, but only got 5 in percentile in interview, and so they got rejected......this is such an impossible score! Any thoughts?

Guest UBCmed2005

Hi Cici,

Anyone who is accepted does not know his/her percentile, since this was not mentioned in the offer letter. But I am assuming that they were above the people who got rejected.

Hope this helps,

UBCmed2005

Guest YongQ

OK tell your friends it's not as bad as it could be, I have a 94 academic and a 1 (no typo!) interview.

Please don't flame me, I'm really sad right now and I'm really not a jerk or social weirdo (although I'm sure that's what a jerk would say too). I thought my interview went well or at least average (according to what the internet sites say about what a good interview should be like), but I guess my opinion of my performance counts for pretty much nothing. Man, how am I supposed to pick myself up from something like this? Am I an evil person in denial?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ian Wong

Hey man,

That really bites. I don't know what to tell you, except that your interviewers must have formed some very strong opinions about you in the time that they had.

I think it's important to remember that interviews are very subjective, and that a bad score, even an extremely bad score such as yours, may not be reflective of what future interviewers will think. You've clearly got the numerical part of your application under control. Perhaps take a deep look into your interviews, and think if there was anything you said or did, that would cause your interviewers to rank you as low as they did.

As far as I'm concerned, I think the only way you could receive such a low rank is if the interviewers thought you were holding something back, or other things along that line. While that isn't necessarily the case, I can't think of anything else, such as a bad case of jitters or nervousness, that would lead to an interview percentile of 1%.

I hope your interviews went well at other schools, and that if you re-apply next year, that things will go better. You've got a year to work on your non-numerical application, and files from this years applications will not be used in future years' applications.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest anon

Hey,

It really hurts when you think you've done well and find out otherwise. I hope you take the time to be sad, angry, depressed, etc. and then try to pick yourself up. You are not a bad person and you're obviously intelligent; I'm sure there are many other things going for you. If you don't get into medicine this year, try to take a look at this as a learning experience. Try doing mock interviews or answering questions for many different people but remember to always be truthful to yourself. I wish I could say something magical to make you feel better but unfortunately I know that I can't. Hopefully you have a strong support system of friends and family to help you through this. Take care.

Archived