Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist

Guest xyz

Does anyone know what are the chances of acceptance after being put on the waitlist? Ian, is it true that there are 25 people on the waitlist? Is this a new number for this year or has it been that number in the past? In the past, how many of those were eventually accepted? Thanks.

Guest Ian Wong

The current waitlist this year is 25 students. I don't know how many people got in off the waitlist this last year, although I've heard secondhand that my year, they actually ended up accepting the entire waitlist and then some. This apparently had a lot to do with the fact that admissions notices came out really late our year, and combined with the stigma of the "new curriculum" led to lots of UBC applicants accepting earlier offers from other med schools.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest UBCmed2005

Last year there were 30 waitlisted applicants according to Dr. Bates lecture. I am assuming this year there will be more since the class size has increased, but mostly all of the applicants on the waitlist will get in. Trust me and trust god!

Guest not rex morgan

Ian. As far as I can remember from Dr. Bate's lecture, there were 30 on the waitlist last year, and 15 got in. The last person was placed the day before classes started. I also recall from the lecture that they won't tell you where you are on the waitlist, but I can't remember the reason for that. Any clue as to the explanation for that? It's hard to apply for jobs when you can't be as specific as possible about your future plans.

Guest Ian Wong

This year's waitlist is 25. Of course, if they were to run through the entire 25, then they would extend the list, but I guess they are confident that they won't need to do this.

I think perhaps the reason for the confidentiality is to avoid raising false hopes/expectations, but really, I don't know. In my class, the last person got in 2 days before class started.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived