Premed 101 Forums

Orientation/Information Packages

Guest UBCDMD2005

Guest UBCDMD2005

Hey MD Class of 2005,

I was just wondering if any of you who have accepted your offers of admission to UBC have recieved the package in the mail that explains everything about orientation week and the rest of first year med. I'm actually accepted into dentistry but I'm supposed to get the same package as the med students since us dentists are in 90+% of the same classes/PBL etc. for the first two years. I've been accepted since March so I've anxiously been waiting since then for UBC to accept all the med students so they would send out the information packages. Thanks for your help. See you all in August.

Guest Ian Wong

Heya DMD2005,

Welcome to 2 years of med school! :)

Regarding location of classes:

Med 1:

All classes are held at UBC except for:

-Clinical Skills in second term, most of which will be at Nurses Residence at VGH, although some may be at other hospitals (eg. St. Pauls)

-Family Practice, which will be at your assigned doctors' offices, which can be extremely variable in location (eg. Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, White Rock :rolleyes , Port Coquitlam :lol )

Med 2:

All lectures are held at VGH except for:

-Tuesday and Thursday classes at UBC, which basically are your Anatomy and Histology lectures and labs.

-Clinical Skills in both first and second term, most of which are still at Nurses Residence at VGH, although some may be at other hospitals (eg. St. Pauls)

-Family Practice, which again will be at your assigned doctors' offices; you'll get new doctors in second year.

As a result, living at/near UBC is the most convenient for Med 1, but living at/near VGH is most convenient for Med 2. Either is nearly academic if you have a car, as the two are about 15 mins drive apart.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived