Premed 101 Forums

US Electives and Residencies

Guest Lancet

Guest Lancet

Hey Ian,

I was wondering if you could tell me if / how many UBC students do elective rotations in the states? Also, do you know how many UBC med students do residency programs in the states?

Guest Ian Wong

There's only two official time slots set up in the UBC curriculum to do international electives, and both of these month-long periods occur in the fall of Med 4 (although there are approximately 3 weeks off in the summer after Med 3 before the start of Med 4, where a third international elective could placed).

You could potentially fit in a few more electives during your summer months (full summers off after Med 1 and Med 2) although you probably lack the clinicall skill to really perform well here.

I think this year, probably 3-4 UBC med grads went down to the States for residency. I'm almost positive the number was at, or least than 5, which I think is fairly typical each year. We have 120 students in each class.

I think the bottom line is that if you have your heart set on a US residency, that more opportunities will present themselves if you attend a US medical school. However, Canada has residencies in virtually every specialty that the US does. For fellowships, the US certainly has more variety to offer.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived