Premed 101 Forums

*UBC's MCAT requirements

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Simon Chiu

Date:***8/13/2000 2:17 pm*PST

Hello,

Anyone sick of studying for MCAT? :)

I was wondering if anyone knew what was the MCAT scores range of accepted applicants for UBC?

Thank you

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong

Date:***8/13/2000 5:06 pm*PST

Heya!

I've got some statistics that can give you averages of accepted UBC students. Going by the limited number of people I've talked to within my class (talking about the MCAT pretty much becomes taboo after you get in :) ), the scores have ranged from 23M to 38R.

As a result, it's really quite difficult to see just how the MCAT influences your chances of getting in. The only advice I can give you is that everything becomes worth it when you receive that letter. Keep it up, just six more days to go!

Ian, MS2

PS: Anyone else have any input, or know the MCAT scores of any people accepted med school this year?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Dave-UG#4

Date:***8/15/2000 0:34 am*PST

Sup Ian,

I just stumbled onto this web site and it's pretty cool! Thank God there are people like you to help us little pre-med kids...

Anyhow, I wrote my MCAT last Aug and scored 35N... Do you think that's good enough? I think the 35 is pretty good, but the N bothers me a bit.

Also, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my autobiography started. Is there any books or other websites that you know of which may help me?

Thanks a lot!

Dave

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong

Date:***8/19/2000 1:24 am*PST

Hi Dave:

"Anyhow, I wrote my MCAT last Aug and scored 35N... Do you think that's good enough? I think the 35 is pretty good, but the N bothers me a bit."

Well, not knowing where you are from, it's hard to say what kind of effect the N will have on your application success. Your score is strong enough for UBC; you can score as low as an M on your MCAT while still retaining the possibility for an interview.

However, the same can't be said for the Ontario schools. If you are applying there, I suggest you contact each medical school, and ask them if an N falls below the MCAT cut-offs. I've got the links to each school's web-site under the Medical Schools section of my page. I'm fairly certain that you won't be able to apply to at least some of the Ontario schools as a result of your Essay score; Ontario schools seem to have a much more stringent MCAT requirement.

"Also, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my autobiography started. Is there any books or other websites that you know of which may help me?"

Unfortunately, I can't help you here. I don't know of any other free sites dedicated to autobiographies, which is why I made an auto-biography section on my site. I'd suggest perhaps going to the bookstore or library, and just flipping through some resume books. Also, browse through the sites on my Links page, as it's very likely that new content has been added on those sites since I made those links.

The autobiography is very much like a resume. It should contain everything that a prospective employer would want to know about you to determine your suitability for the job. In this case, you need to use examples from your past, academic, social, or otherwise, that support the fact that you will make a good physician.

Best of luck!

Ian, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG2

Date:***8/27/2000 9:27 pm*PST

For Ontario schools, the N on the writing sample has no effect at McMaster or Ottawa (since they don't count the MCAT!). It's sufficient for U of T (cutoffs: 8 on each section, N on WS)and Queen's (30 total, 10 verbal, N on WS). Western needs 9's on V and BS, 8 on PS, and a Q on the writing sample. So he'd be fine for 4 of the 5 med schools here...

Jeff S, UG2 (U of T)

Archived